Start new topic
A couple of forum complaints
Posted: Sep 26 2005, 12:12 PM
PMEmail Poster

In the long time I've been a part of Atlantian Oceania (off and on for over a year now), I've noticed two things that I find annoying as it relates to this board. One, the lack of ability on the part of members except the Founder and perhaps one or two other people to edit a post in the event of a typo or somesuch that could clarify a matter for the purposes of RP. As an example, in my thread about the land grab of Chacoran territory, I used two different surnames for my general and Star noticed it. Had he not made the edits, I would have had one general alternately named Brady Dent or Brady Clark depending on what I typed. I'd heard the editing function was supposed to be relaxed for rank and file users, but that doesn't seem to have come about.

The second, and in my mind, more serious complaint has to do with the anti-profanity features on this board. I'll grant you that I have a general dislike of people who use gratuitous profanity or use it to flame someone, but there are times when I'd use profanity to reflect a character's world view. My characters don't use the term "cheeky bum." They use a three letter word that can also be used as a term for a donkey. For cripe's sake the word for a male sexual organ was replaced by that turn of phrase! The word itself is not a profanity! It's the correct medical term for that particular body part.

I don't know if any of the above has been addressed before or what the outcome was if it was addressed, but those are two things I can stay silent about no longer.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 26 2005, 04:17 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

The select few with editing ability are Vililta, Turori, Starblaydia and... um... that's about it,

A few others have minor mod powers over subforums, like Bettia for the UN one or <insert AOCAF host here> during the AOCAFs, but otherwise you still can't edit more than about 5 minutes after posting - even if that long. Dunno how to change that.

As for the lovely parental-style auto-edits, Vil set this board up two years ago and I'm assuming he has no clue what half of the auto-edits are, never mind how to change em

Here are a few i know of:

auto-edited word <-- Description of original
male sexual organ <-- there was a young man named Enis...
female sexual organ <--- last letter of Salt, first three of Water.
-explicitive removed- <-- like this off a shovel
cheeky bum <--- the one above comes out of this
-explicitive removed- <--- French Connection United Kingdom
Man that was so funny! :D <--- laugh out loud
You got me laughing on that one! < -- 'ha ha' without the space
Oh Man I'm laughing so hard after that one!! :D :D <-- laughing my ass off
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Sep 26 2005, 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Sarzonia @ Sep 26 2005, 01:12 PM)
to edit a post in the event of a typo or somesuch

You have half an hour to go back an edit your typo. Theres no need to edit a typo after everyone else has read it.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Sep 27 2005, 09:05 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Vilita @ Sep 26 2005, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Sarzonia @ Sep 26 2005, 01:12 PM)
to edit a post in the event of a typo or somesuch

You have half an hour to go back an edit your typo. Theres no need to edit a typo after everyone else has read it.

Maybe not, but I'd rather have the ability to correct those typos or add in or clarify points to an existing post rather than creating an all new post.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 28 2005, 03:54 AM

The point of limiting editing to a timespan where people have yet to read the post is

1) To prevent devious people from changing stories around mid stream. If you write it stick to it, if you're worried about typo's run it through spell check

2) Because if you go back and edit a post, you still have to post a new post anyway, orelse no one will have a clue that you edited the post. So instead of having a forum full of "bump, edit" - be creative and expand on it in the reply you're going to make anyway

3) If your situation is absolutely dire, all you have to do is ask and something major can be fixed. If it's not major then why does it need to be fixed
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 3 2005, 08:58 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Vilita @ Sep 28 2005, 03:54 AM)
The point of limiting editing to a timespan where people have yet to read the post is

1) To prevent devious people from changing stories around mid stream. If you write it stick to it, if you're worried about typo's run it through spell check

2) Because if you go back and edit a post, you still have to post a new post anyway, orelse no one will have a clue that you edited the post. So instead of having a forum full of "bump, edit" - be creative and expand on it in the reply you're going to make anyway

3) If your situation is absolutely dire, all you have to do is ask and something major can be fixed. If it's not major then why does it need to be fixed

I'm well aware of the points that may or can be used to prevent editing. I still think they're insufferably stupid, however, and my request to allow editing stands.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 3 2005, 09:12 AM

Okay, I'll think about it. If i could find a way to allow certain nations to edit and other to not, i will do that , but it will require some coding
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0153 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->