Start new topic
England's whip system
Posted: Dec 11 2005, 09:14 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I am reading a bit about England’s history and politics these days. I wonder why the have the so-called “whip system”. I think a member of the parliament should be free just as any other citizen of the country. This means, I wouldn’t want parties to dictate their (MP) members how to vote on specific bills and proposals.

I have greatest respect for the century-old traditions of the UK and her institutions. Their parliament and their democracy probably is one of the oldest in the world. As far I know, the only countries in Europe with constitutions and laws older than 60 years are England, Norway and Switzerland – but some things are just weird in England – Haggis looks like a car accident and the Scots fry mars sticks ;-)

However, I was surprised that England does not have a constitution in the continental sense of the word, like Norway (I believe) and Israel.
Latao
Emperor
Quote Post

Posted: Dec 11 2005, 11:34 AM

England (or rather, Great Britain) doesn't have a specific written constitution, like the USA does. It's there, of course, but is always developing as laws are made.

The whips are just there to keep Members of Parliament to follow their party line, and make sure they vote of key issues.

And besides, Haggis (as well as Deep-Fried Mars bars) is a Scottish dish, not English tongue.gif
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Dec 11 2005, 12:42 PM

Well, after 10 beers I could imagine to try one of these fried mars bars, but Haggis is too much for me ;-) And I can't believe Churchill ever ate a Schnitzel, Man that was so funny! :D
Latao
Emperor
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 14 2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah, we English people rawk. Think about it: How many civilised western countries have a monarch? Us.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 15 2006, 05:23 AM
PMEmail Poster

And Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Spain . . .

Hypocria
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jan 15 2006, 03:11 PM
PMEmail Poster

The same sort of system happens in the US. There's a huge game that both parties play with partisan voting. That doesn't completely stop mavericks from voting their consciences, but they pick and choose now.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 15 2006, 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Hypocria @ Jan 15 2006, 11:23 AM)
And Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Spain . . .

Touché.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0186 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->