Start new topic
AOCAF 62: Banija & Busoga
Posted: Oct 4 2020, 10:11 PM
PMEmail Poster

Banija/Busoga AOCAF 62 Host Bid

The Royal Banijan Soccer Association(hereafter referred to as the RBSA), joined by the Busoga Islander Soccer Association(hereafter referred to as BISA), are officially submitting their bid to the AOCAF to co-host the 62nd edition of the AOCAF regional championships.

Banijan National Information

The Kingdom of Banija is a country that classifies itself as a semi-constitutional monarchy. A nation that is freshly a member of Atlantian Oceania, it is led by the Kabaka(which translates to King), and the current monarch is Kabaka Mwanga. The Kabaka, alongside with the Waziri(translates to Foreign Minister), whom he picks and dismisses solely at his pleasure, is the Head of State and responsible for the country's foreign affairs. Upon reaching age 25, the Isebantu(Crown Prince), becomes the Waziri by constitutional right. The current Isebantu is Isebantu Mutungi. The full list of members of the Royal Family can be found here.

Kabaka Mwanga ascended into power after the assassination of his father, Kabaka Albert III during World Cup 82 Qualifying. This is, of course, a government with an elected element. The elected unicameral legislature is the Lukiiko(Parliament), and the Lukiiko is responsible for governance of domestic affairs. The Katikkiro(Prime Minister) is elected by the Lukiiko. Currently, there is an elected right-wing coalition that holds a majority in the Lukiiko and rules the country. The present Katikkiro Is Kobe Aziri.

Due to the massive influence of Puritan Mormonism in this nation, they are relatively socially conservative. Abortion in this country is outlawed unless the mother's life is in danger, and polygamy for males is legal. The church's Universal Call to Motherhood, which teaches that the destiny of each and every woman is to give birth to children and raise faithful Puritan Mormons, has heavily shaped the nation's view on the role of women in society, forming the basis for Banija's prior sports gender segregation laws in the first place. Consumption of alcohol and the recreational use of marijuana in Banija is legal. Due to Mormon tradition, however, the purchase/sale of coffee products is illegal within Banija- however, the consumption is not. Fans and teams an ddelegations are allowed to bring in their own coffee products as long as they are declared at customs, where it is then taxed per pound. Any attempt or effort to sell the product, however, can and will result in arrest.

Most people in the country speak both Olusanke, the local dialect, and English. There is a smattering of Korean spoken within the country, thanks to Banija's Quebecois roots. Banija's currency is the shilling. The exchange rate to the NationStates Dollar is 200 shillings to 1 NSD. Conversion kiosks will be available at all hotels and at airports to exchange your money, as well as any banks. However, using the NSDs directly to purchase items is only guaranteed at stadiums and hotels- vendors outside of stadiums or hotels are not required to accept NationStates Dollars. Fans are also advised that street vendors will only take cash, according to Banijan law- as an issue of security to prevent against credit card theft.

Of course, Banija is on its way to developed country status. This is thanks to a recent discovery of large oil deposits in Hangaza, there is movement within the country on building better infrastructure. There has been heavy investment in Istria's public transportation system by the Regional Transit Corporation in the leadup to the games, with better roads and systems being built. One of Banija's unique public transit systems within cities is via the boda boda. The climate of Banija has a lot of natural rainforest and jungle, which means that there is no winter, only wet season and dry season. Temperatures generally range at their coldest around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and at their hottest around 110 degrees Fahrenheit. For the duration of the Games, average high temperatures will range from 60 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Banijans have a tendency of being relaxed about time. While, of course, things like flights and matches will run on time, this is something that is observed generally, especially at restaurants. It is considered standard to arrive about 15-20 minutes late for a restaurant reservation, which is something Banijan authorities would like to make note of for travelling fans and visitors to the country for this tournament. This is very true for hangouts with Banijans, dates, weddings, etc... Within the country.

In terms of food, Banijans are very heavy meat eaters, and you'll find plenty of chicken, goat meat, beef, pork, and turkey options on your localized menus. In terms of non-meats, popular staple foods are jollof, matoke, Chapati, a rolex, and samosas. Strictly vegan restaurants within the country, outside of Istria and Busukuma, are almost non-existent, though of course you'll find non-meat options everywhere.

Busoga Islands National Information

The Islamic Republic of the Busoga Islands are one of the newest states on the international map - the country forming as an independent nation shortly after World Cup 80, as a result of what is commonly known internationally as the Banijan-Equestrian War, but within the country as the Busogan war for independence.

The islands have been inhabitated for over 400 years, named after their founder, Ayatollah Kizil Busoga. These people have been one that have fiercely and jealously their independence. While, of course, being ruled by Quebec City, and then via Busukuma, for over two entire centuries, they are now looking to come out of the woodworks and stake a name for themselves. Politically, they closely ally with the Equestrian States and other nations within Canterlot's sphere of influence, and thanks to heavy foreign investment they have a rapidly growing economy.

In terms of football, they are six professional clubs on the Islands. They all retained membership within the Banijan pyramid upon independence, and continue to compete domestically within that structure. The national team has never made the knockout stages of the AOCAFs. They suffered a severe disappointment at World Cup 86 Qualifying, finishing in 8th place despite their Pot 3 ranking, and failing to even receive an invitation to the Cup of Harmony.

Format

This is where it will get interesting. The format for this tournament will be an AO Nations League format- inspired, naturally, by the UEFA Nations League.

The following format, while unconventional, will ensure that teams will continuously play other teams of a similar strength, to better prepare them for the knockout stages. Which, of course, means better entertainment for the broadcasters, and a chance to develop rivalries.

Target number for this format is 32 or 36 teams. The preferred number, for now, is 36 teams.

League A: 3 groups of 4(Top 12 sides)
League B: 3 groups of 4(Next 12 sides)
League C: X groups of 4(If 32 teams, then 2 groups needed. If 36 teams, 3 groups. if 40 teams, 4 groups.)

Phase 1- Each team shall play a double round robin, home and away, in a group stage setting against all teams in their group. Each League will have a seeded draw. At the end of Phase 1, we relegate last team in each group from League A, and promote top team in each group from League B. Relegate bottom team in each group from League B, and promote top team in each group from League C. If 32 teams, only the two worst last place teams from League B get relegated.

Phase 2- Each team shall play a single round robin, with all games to be played in Banija and Busoga, in a group stage setting against all teams in their group. The Busoga Islands shall host all the matches of whatever group contains the Busoga Islands- the other 7/8/9 groups shall be hosted in Banija. Groups, of course, shall be redrawn prior to Phase 2. At the end of Phase 2, 16 spots are allocated to the World Bowl knockout stages as follows.

- Top 3 teams in each group in League A Phase 2 will qualify directly for AOCAF knockout stages(9 teams)
- Group winners from each group in League B Phase 2 will qualify directly for AOCAF knockout stages(3 teams)
- The last place team in each group in League A shall play a home game against a group runner-up from League B. The matchups shall be randomly chosen. The winner of each game will qualify for the AOCAF knockout stages(3 teams)

Now, of course, this where the formats divide for the last spot in the knockout stages.

If 32 teams:
- The two group winners from League C will play in a neutral site game(in Banija), and the winner shall qualify for the knockout stages(1 team)

If 36 teams:
- The group winners from League C will be ranked, and the top two will play in a neutral site game(in Banija), and the winner shall qualify for the knockout stages(1 team)

If 40 teams:
- The four group winners from League C shall be ranked and #1 will play #4, while #2 plays #3(both neutral site), and the winners shall play in a one game playoff(also neutral site), and the winner of that goes to the knockouts(1 team)

The knockout stages shall be single elimination. Phase 2 League A group winners will be seeded 1-3, Phase 2 League A group runners-up will be seeded 4-6, Phase 2 League B group winners will be seeded 7-9, Phase 2 League A third place teams will be seeded 10-12, and Phase 2 League A fourth place teams/Group B runners-up will be seeded 13-15, and the champions of League C will be seeded #16.

Note- basically this exact format was ran at World Bowl XXXVII, albeit under slightly different circumstances, so if you want to get a visual for how this format could work one could look through that thread.

Scorination & RP Bonus

Scorination will be done with the latest presently existing version of xkoranate. We will use the NSFS formula with xkoranate (additive) style modifiers. The ranking system used, of course, will be the official AOCAF rankings(as opposed to the KPB rankings), and RP bonus shall be cumulative throughout the entirety of the tournament. A roster shall be worth up to a full matchday's RP bonus.

Tiebreakers

For tiebreakers, we will use the following: HTH points, HTH goal difference, Overall Goal Difference, Wins, Goals Scored, Coin Flip (OOCly Rank+RP Bonus or, if still tied, we'll break the tie by scorinating tiebreaker matches until the tie is broken).

Specialties

For the knockout stages, nations shall be allowed to bid to provide IC stadia to host knockout stage games. Obviously, all matches will be scored by me(except obviously for KO stage matches involving either of my nations). While the Final will be in Busukuma, and the third place match will be in the Busoga Islands, nations can bid with stadia(can bid either via TG or an IC post) to host knockout stage matches. Similar to UEFA Euro 2020(2021?), the knockout stages of the tournament can be hosted all across Atlantian Oceania.

People can bid with whatever stadia they want, and however many stadia they want, but any stadia will have to follow RBSA rules for hosting major tournaments(aka must have a minimum seating capacity of 35,000). If there are not enough acceptable bids by the beginning of the KO stages to host games, then Banijan stadiums will be used to fill in the gaps.

Experience

Both Banija and Busoga Islands are the same user. I have hosted/co-hosted the following tournaments
World Bowl XXXIV
World Bowl XXXVII
25th International Basketball Championships(co-hosted w/ Filindostan)
28th World Lacrosse Championships
29th World Lacrosse Championships(co-hosted with Razenthuria)
67th Baptism of Fire(co-hosted w/ Qasden)
76th Cup of Harmony(co-hosted w/ Xanneria)
Conferences in multiple seasons of both the NSCAA and the NSCF
World Cup 83(co-hosted with Equestria)
World Cup 81(co-hosted w/ the Federation of Free Republics)
AOCAF LVIII(co-hosted with Baker Park)
XIV Summer Olympiad(co-hosted with Liventia)
Banija
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 4 2020, 10:30 PM
PMEmail Poster

I like this format. It's a good opportunity to try something different.
BakerPark
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 4 2020, 10:33 PM
PMEmail Poster

Given the disparity in strength of schedule between the teams at the top of the rankings and the bottom, how would you propose that the AOCAF rankings take this tournament into account?
Equestrian States
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 4 2020, 10:47 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I don't know. Luckily we have a full cycle to figure it out before the next AOCAF.

In reality though, my first instinct is to treat all group games equally. While this may unfairly give early tournament rank points to lower ranked teams and remove opportunity for higher ranked teams to gain early group rank points - this is also directly accounted for in the format of the tournament which also provides the teams with the more difficult opposition on a match by match basis a far easier path to playing extra matches in the knockout round.

From that perspective, I think the format itself doesn't screw up the rankings nearly as bad as the Casaran system could.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 5 2020, 08:35 AM
PMEmail Poster

I'd echo what Vilita said. I think that it'd even out, with the extra matches and opportunities that League A sides get with a much easier path to the knockout stages. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend any change in ranking points awarded per match in this format for the AOCAFs.
Banija
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 5 2020, 03:58 PM
PMEmail Poster

I applaud Banjia for proposing an interesting idea (and agree some of the tradeoffs around rankings helps a little), but at the same time, am not sure it's a path we really want to go down.

Above all else, one thing that has been consistent in an AOCAF is that everyone has roughly the same path to the title -- you play a set of teams, the same number of teams advance out of each group (give or take a partial set where some might get an extra team, but even that's typically based on overall standing). Casaran deviates from that in that your schedule isn't just a result of random draw, but also the results of others, but still means that the top X in points get through. A Nations League format automatically disadvantages anyone outside of the top 24 significantly, and provides a cushion to the top 12 on top of the inherent advantage you'd have on ranking alone.

It's also a format that seems better suited to an ongoing competition, as opposed to our region's all-comers competition that starts anew each cycle. Heck, it's a competition where I see the RL practicalities that have caused multiple regional federations to adopt their own form, but those same practicalities don't make as much sense in NS.

A fun idea, but one that I have some misgivings about.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Oct 6 2020, 12:40 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Yea, I like the format in real life as its been used in the IIHF World Ice Hockey annually and is pretty exciting to watch over time.

Of course it maybe doesn't lend itself as well to NS where the nations change every edition. I think it would work out just fine but as you say I'm not sure if its necessary either.

I guess no one is planning to propose scorinating some other sports tournaments along with the AOCAF like we did last time? smile.gif
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 7 2020, 12:02 AM
PMEmail Poster

As a fellow bidder I think this format is quite well interesting and cool! It sounds quite fun! Cant wait to see how it pans out(if you win tongue.gif)
Twicetagram
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 20 2020, 09:57 AM
PMEmail Poster

I don't think there's anywhere where I can edit my posts. Anyways, to update, since we seem to be beyond 40 signups, I'm throwing in what this format would look like if we end up with 44, or 48 teams. If we go beyond 48, then I'll provide further updates.

The math that could keep the fairness aspect(allowing top 3 sides in League A to advance automatically to the knockouts, giving a chance for the last place League A squads to still get into the KO stages, and allowing adequate KO stage berths for League B and C teams) would require us to have a Round of 24 for this format to work if we are to go beyond 40 teams. Of course, AOCAF 60 had a round of 24, so it's not exactly uncommon in these parts.

League A: 3/4 groups of 4(Top 12 sides if 44, top 16 sides if 48)
League B: 4 groups of 4(Next 16 sides)
League C: 4 groups of 4(Next 16 sides)

Phase 1- Each team shall play a double round robin, home and away, in a group stage setting against all teams in their group. Each League will have a seeded draw. At the end of Phase 1, we relegate last team in each group from League A, and promote top team in each group from League B(if 44, only promote top 3 League B group winners). Relegate bottom team in each group from League B, and promote top team in each group from League C.

Phase 2- Each team shall play a single round robin, with all games to be played in Banija and Busoga, in a group stage setting against all teams in their group. The Busoga Islands shall host all the matches of whatever group contains the Busoga Islands- the other 10/11 groups shall be hosted in Banija. Groups, of course, shall be redrawn prior to Phase 2. At the end of Phase 2, 24 spots should be awarded to the AOCAF knockout stages as follows.

If 44 teams:
- Top 2 teams in each League A group will earn a bye from the Round of 24 and advance directly to the round of 16(6). Group winners ranked 1-3, runner-ups ranked 4-6.
- Top 2 League B group winners will earn bye from the Round of 24 and advance directly to the Round of 16, ranked 7-8 (2).
- All 3rd place teams from League A will advance to the Round of 24, ranked 9-11(3)
- Remaining League B group winners will advance to the Round of 24, ranked 12-13(2)
- All League B group runner-ups will advance to the Round of 24, ranked 14-17(4)
- All League A last place teams will advance to the Round of 24, ranked 18-20(3)
- All League C group winners will advance to the Round of 24, ranked 21-24(4)

If 48 teams:
- Top 2 teams in each League A group will earn a bye from the Round of 24 and advance directly to the round of 16. Group winners ranked 1-4, runners-up ranked 5-8(8).
- All League B group winners advance to Round of 24, ranked 9-12(4).
- All 3rd place teams from League A advance to Round of 24, ranked 13-16(4).
- All League B group runner-ups advance to the Round of 24, ranked 17-20(4).
- League A last place teams and League C group winners will face off in one game playoffs against each other, randomly drawn. These one game playoffs shall be played at the home stadium of the League C group winner. The 4 winners of these playoffs will be the last 4 teams to advance to the Round of 24(4).

Also, there have been discussions in the World Cup Discussion Thread about how public RP bonus should be. While I will not reveal actual bonuses given out, I do think upon reflection that publicly revealing the RP bonus scale I will use will be informative to people who are learning, and want to learn a number we should use going forward.

I will grade using a max daily RP bonus of 1.5. The roster bonus, equivalent to a max of one matchday, will be graded on the same scale.

This post has been edited by Banija on Oct 20 2020, 10:05 AM
Banija
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0272 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->