How shall we vote:
Sweet! (Yes) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Dude, so not cool (No) [ 5 ]  [100.00%]
You [i]are[/i] freaking out, man (Abstain) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 5

Posted on Feb 26 2006, 06:40 PM
PMEmail Poster

Recreational Drug Legalization

A resolution to ban, legalize, or encourage recreational drugs.

Category: Recreational Drug Use

Decision: Legalize

Proposed by: Jey

Description: The UN,

ACKNOWLEDGING that many citizens of UN states wish to consume recreational drugs for many purposes,

AFFIRMING that all people have a right to their own body,

CONSIDERING that responsible recreational drug use harms only the individual user,

BELIEVING that criminalization of recreational drugs is an ineffective and unjust deterrent,

RECOGNIZING that responsible cultivation and preparation of certain plant-based drugs for personal consumption does not create public health hazards,

SEEKING to legalize consumption of these plant-based drugs where it does not involve direct physical harm to others,

1.DEFINES as recreational drugs for the purpose of this resolution: Amanita muscaria, Cannabis, Coffee, Ergot, Kava, Mescaline-containing cacti, Psilocin- and psilocybin-containing fungi, Qat, Salvia divinorum, Tea, Tobacco,

2.LEGALIZES in UN states the possession, cultivation, and preparation of said drugs, given these activities do not directly and physically harm others,

3.LEGALIZES in UN states the consumption of said drugs on private property, with the owner's consent, and public property, with the appropriate authorities' consent,

4.STRONGLY URGES states to illegalize the practice of deceiving or coercing others into using said drugs, except when administered legally for medicinal purposes by an authorised individual,

5.PERMITS member states to:

I)Place age restrictions on the activities described in Articles 2 and 3, to a maximum of the national age of majority,

II)Restrict individuals under the influence of said drugs from operating vehicles and heavy/dangerous machinery, pursuing occupational labor, or performing any acts in which being under the influence of said drugs could immediately, directly, physically harm others,

III)Give law enforcement authorities the right to detain - at their discretion but subject to other applicable laws and with the utmost respect for individual freedom of expression and conscience - any individual or group under the influence of said drugs who:

a)Cause significant public disturbance, with the intent or effect of causing physical injury, property damage, or severe distress to others,

b)Put others at significant risk of physical injury,

6.ESTABLISHES the UN Drug Commission to:

I)Monitor the medical safety of said drugs,

II)Advise on further issues concerning recreational drug laws,

III)Call for the seizure or destruction of known contaminated recreational drugs,

7.AFFIRMS that this resolution affords intoxicated persons who physically harm others no protection from prosecution and sentencing under applicable laws,

8.NOTES this resolution does not cover the administration of said drugs for medicinal purposes by health workers,

9.URGES all states to further relax their drug laws, by expanding the definition of recreational drugs to other substances, and creating a legal framework under which they may be legally procured,

10.REQUESTS that states support organizations and initiatives for voluntary rehabilitation of those affected by drugs, education on responsible drug use, and prevention of illegal and harmful acts resulting from drug use,

11.URGES states to ensure that their populations have easy access to scientifically accurate, value-neutral information concerning the effects of drug use, and that suppliers of said drugs are not allowed to make false claims about them.

Co-Authored by: _Myopia_
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 26 2006, 07:33 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I ain't takin this crap no more, and I pity da fool who votes for dis resolution.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Feb 26 2006, 08:16 PM
PMEmail Poster

I'm not sure that this is a field the UN should be getting into, though it is an interesting question of a battle between what is a human right, and what should be legislated by the national governments. Furthermore, defining plants, such as coffee, tea, and tobacco, rather than the drugs that are involved in the production of the products consumed by man, as recreational drugs.

With that last point in mind, Ms. Cappaverde recommends that the delgates of AO vote to REJECT this resolution.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 26 2006, 09:39 PM

Too many problems with this resolution for my taste.

AGAINST
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Feb 27 2006, 10:13 AM

They have got to be kidding...

NAY, NAY and thrice NAY

(too bad I can only vote once)
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Feb 27 2006, 05:58 PM
PMEmail Poster

Whoever wrote this must have been high.

AGAINST
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted on Mar 1 2006, 06:20 PM
PMEmail Poster

With a unanimous vote, the delegate votes to REJECT the resolution. The final tally resulted in its fall as well, by nearly 3,000 votes.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Topic OptionsClosed TopicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0223 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->