Total Votes: 4

Posted on Feb 10 2006, 11:24 AM
PMEmail Poster

Repeal "Abortion Rights"

A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal

Resolution: #61

Proposed by: Dorksonia

Description: UN Resolution #61: Abortion Rights (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: RECOGNIZES that abortion is an issue where good people on each side of this issue disagree.

PRAISES the concern for women in crisis and with needs.

POINTS OUT Resolution #61 provides no details or reasons for it's argument.

EMPHASIZES Resolution #61 does not limit abortion to "Women's health" during later trimesters, but allows a woman to have an abortion for any reason whatsoever (age, gender of the baby, etc.), for no reason whatsoever, without parental consent, without spousal consent, and at any any point up to and including the ninth month of pregnancy.

ACKNOWLEDGES this repeal will not prohibit any abortions, but permit it to be a daily issue in which a nation may decide this issue for themselves.

NOTES people are passionate on both sides of this issue and repealing this issue will indeed be "pro-choice" (member nations may choose to permit abortions for any reason, limit it as they deem necessary, or prohibit).

CONSIDERS the further medical technology of prenatal surgery deeming the unborn child as a "patient" and questions if abortion does not protect the rights of these individuals based on their location.

QUESTIONS if women are able to make informed choices without further research into the pychological and emotional side effects of such a common surgical procedure.

REPEALS resolution #61 "Abortion Rights"

Votes For: 1,502

Votes Against: 606

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Tue Feb 14 2006
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 10 2006, 11:27 AM
PMEmail Poster

Here's the original resolution:

UNITED NATIONS RESOLUTION #61
Abortion Rights

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Vistadin

Description: Henceforth all women shall have the right to choose whether to have an abortion or not, no member nation will interfere with a woman's right to have an abortion.

Votes For: 9,368
Votes Against: 6,549

Implemented: Sat Jun 5 2004
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 10 2006, 10:24 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I shall vote NO on the repeal, as it is the woman's choice as to whether she wishes to have an abortion or not. It is not the state's place to tell her whether or not she can make this choice.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Feb 11 2006, 05:07 AM

The original resolution seems to be imposing a law onto member states whether they like it or not regardless of national cultures or beliefs, so I'm voting FOR this one.... REPEAL AWAAAAAAAY!!
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Feb 11 2006, 01:01 PM

We agrees with Bettia. Note that one down in your diaries.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Feb 12 2006, 03:40 PM

Seems to be a well thought out resolution to repeal. Maybe if they came back with a better worded abortion one, I'd be for it. Either way, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

FOR
Khazaron
The Red Devil
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 13 2006, 03:03 AM
PMEmail Poster

OOC: I will not vote on any resolution taken, except to break a tie, hence why there are only 4 votes up there, even though 5 of us have commented in this thread. However, at times I will have Vanessa "comment" on a resolution.

IC:

"Ms. Cappaverde, the proposed repeal of the Abortion Rights resolution seems to be a subject of hot debate. What are your thoughts on the repeal?"

Vanessa pauses momentarily, though it's clear she's had a reponse to that question planned for some while.

"When the final tally comes down from my fellow delegates from this region, my own opinion will not matter, as I will abide by the result of the vote."

"However," she added, "I do believe that some of my colleagues might be missing a certain point on this proposal. The original resolution may require all member states to allow people to have abortions, yet it says nothing about prohibiting regulation of those who perform them."

"So effectively, the resolution up for repeal is one that those against abortion would actually be better served keeping in place, since it lessens the ability of the pro-choice crowd to tighten the loophole. Furthermore, the argumentative nature of the resolution calling for the repeal has some potential issues with it."

Vanessa started to rise, ending the conference.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 14 2006, 02:16 AM
PMEmail Poster

With a vote of 3-1. the Legalese delegate votes to REPEAL Abortion Rights.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Feb 14 2006, 02:24 PM
PMEmail Poster

As those lovely TGs from the compliance ministry will soon indicate, the Repeal of Abortion Rights has passed, by a vote of 7,630 to 6,519.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Topic OptionsClosed TopicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0165 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->