Yes [ 2 ]  [33.33%]
No [ 2 ]  [33.33%]
Abstain [ 2 ]  [33.33%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Posted on Mar 19 2008, 09:06 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

International Measurements Act
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Cobdenia

Description: The United Nations,

REALISING that lack of weight and measurement standardisation is a major concern for importers and exporters,

FURTHER REALISING that such a lack of standisation can impede the flow of scientific research,

BELIEVING, therefore, that a standard for weights and measurements is required,

UNDERSTANDING, however, that one system of measurement, whilst appropriate in some circumstances, may be inappropriate and otherwise unusable in other circumstances,

FURTHER UNDERSTANDING that other measurement systems may be of cultural signifigance for certain member states,

The United Nations, hereby:

1) ESTABLISHES the Bureau of Measurements and Weights (BMW),

2) COMMISIONS the BMW to create a standard for all weights and measurements, and warrants the BMW to decide which unit is to be used under what circumstances. This will include, but is not limited to:
a) Metric weights and measures for use on consumer products, scientific calculations (where appropriate), and roadway signage;
cool.gif The Parsec and related measures for astrophysical calculations (where appropriate);
c) The Nautical Mile and related measures for aerial and nautical navigational (where appropriate)
d) Bits, octets, bytes and related units for electrical information storage
e) Other measurements systems for other circumstances as deemed appropriate by the BMW

3) MANDATES that all labelling, roadsigns, scientific papers, navigation charts, and other items requiring notation of this ilk, display the unit system as deemed appropriate for said item by the BMW clearly. This does not preclude the use of alternative measurements on such items as long as the BMW sanctioned unit is also displayed,

4) FURTHER ENCOURAGES that the measurement system(s) as authorised by the BMW be used primarily in educational instruction to encourage familiarity, but not precluding the teaching of other systems should a nation deem it necessary

Votes For: 3,500

Votes Against: 940

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Fri Mar 21 2008

Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Mar 19 2008, 09:13 AM

Hmmm. As much as I love BMWs, this resolution just seems at first sight to be a wordier repeat of the recently repealed Metric Measurements act in as much as it's trying to force all member nations to adopt the metric system whether they like it or not. However, the clause about displaying any preferred unit alongside the approved one (where different) just about rescues it. AYE
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Mar 19 2008, 11:05 AM

The metric system can take a mile run along a kilometre Starblaydi pier. Other that that, it's fine, but we still chuck a big Meh at this one.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Mar 20 2008, 09:13 AM

And on that nonplussing display of neutrallity, with a 1-1-2 majority the MEHS have it. Righty ho, back to sleep... I mean work!
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Mar 21 2008, 04:31 AM
PMEmail Poster

Damn me and my late no vote! Damn me to hell!
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0225 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->