PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Post your actual host bids in here.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Jul 28 2013, 04:12 PM
PMEmail Poster

Well, with nobody else posting anything, I figured I'd get the machine going, with this slightly tounge in cheek, yet very serious, bid.

AOCAF 41 - THE INEVITABLE SYNDICATE
Because a AOCAF in a war torn country is better than none at all!

The Basics:
Scorination: I can confirm that I'll be using xkoranate, not NSFS for this AOCAF. , using the latest regional rankings.

Hosting Experience: I'm not going to lie to you, it's not much. I've only done the 4th International Chess Championships, and my own tennis tournament, the Syndicatian Slam. I also run a domestic league, in case you need some proof that I can operate NSFS.

Format: Seeing as we have 30 signups (as of the time of writing), I'd let the signups go to 32 and then do a simple group stage of 8 groups of 4. Top two sides would go on to the round of sixteen, with the whole other shebang to follow suit. It seems we can get 32 members, as we're close already, but should we go over I'd probably adjust the group numbers and/or numbers of groups themselves to get what we want.

Tiebreakers would be ordered by the following: Goal difference, number of wins, head to head results, goals scored.

Dates:
I'd like to get the tournament up and running as soon as possible, but I was thinking of starting on the 5th of August, with scorination occurring every 48 hours, with the exception of the third place playoff which would be scorinated 24 hours after the semi-final match. I am, however, somewhat flexible on the dates, as it's the summer holidays!

RP Bonus: We all know by now that it's quality over quantity, and I will also grade roster posts, as these are often beautifully dressed with lots of lovely information.

Details: Naturally, stadium information and locations will all be present in the everything thread. I'll try to keep your football players away from the warzones, but hey, it'll be just like you're in Farfadillis!

This post has been edited by Vilita on Aug 1 2013, 04:35 AM
Inevitable
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted on Jul 29 2013, 12:26 AM
PMEmail Poster

Vote IBEX for AOCAF 41
Can't let our neighbors hog all the fun!

Hosting Experience: Under Karditan, I've hosted the Third International Chess Championships, the Copa Rushmori de Beisbol and, more importantly, World Bowl XX. I also run a whole gaggle of domestic leagues.

Scorination: Would be done using the latest version of xkoranate, SQIS formula, with xkoranate-style modifiers. RPs will be heavily weighted in relation to rank, including bonuses for rosters.

Format: 32 entrants, 8 groups of 4, single-round-robin, top two teams advance to the knockout rounds. Yes, unoriginal, but hey, it works. Tiebreakers would be H2H Results, Goal Difference, then Goal Scored.

Date: I'd like to have the first matchday to be no later than August 7th, which would ensure that I could run with the cutoff-every-other-day scheme (essentially the same as Inevitable outlined). If that doesn't turn out to be a feasible start date, the group stage matches would be on consecutive days while the playoff rounds are every other day. I have a potential conflict on the 20th that could last several days, which I'd rather not tempt.

IC Stuff: I mean, really. Why would you want to hold the world's most prestigious international football competition in a country that's at war with a neighbor and is utterly deluged with copious amounts of water? We're the much sounder choice!(Pay no attention to the fact that we're at war with ourselves and have an eternal drought.) Also, fair warning, if you weren't aware: the bulk of Ibex's citizenry are 'intelligent' (in the loosest sense of the word) talking goats. Stadia details and such would be provided after host duties are confirmed.
Ibex
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted on Jul 31 2013, 10:20 PM
PMEmail Poster

user posted image

Format: The AOCAF would be run under the Casaran system, which is very versatile and lends itself well to the AOCAF. The tournament would take place under the standard two-stage format, but the initial phase (here called the "Casaran phase") is held under a different format.

The Casaran stage would take place over four matchdays. In it, all teams would be placed in the same large 'group', and pairings would be generated day-by-day according to the teams' current results. For the opening matchday, there would be no seeding, and teams would be drawn to play each other completely at random. For the three other matchdays, teams would generally be placed in 'brackets' - for example, on the second matchday, all the teams on three points would be in one bracket, those on one point in another, and those on zero in a third. This format keeps those teams that are doing well together, and yet provides an incentive to RP for most teams through to the end of the group stage.

(This red text contains a more detailed description of how the Casaran format works. You can skip through it if you're just looking for a general outline.)

After each matchday, the table is formed. Teams are ranked by these criteria:
  • Strength of Victory (the total points gained by all the teams you've beaten, plus one-third of the points gained by those you've drawn against)
  • Strength of Schedule (the total points gained by all teams you've played)
  • Goal difference
  • RP bonus

Then, the pairings for the next matchday are formed into brackets. We examine how many points the team in first place has, and compare it with the team in second. If they match, the two go into the top bracket and examine the third-placed team, and so on until all teams on the same number of points are in one bracket. In the event of an odd number of teams being placed in one bracket, the team at the bottom of the bracket is paired with the team immediately below them in the table. This process repeats for the highest ranked team not already in a bracket, and so on until all teams are placed in a bracket.

After all teams have been assigned to a bracket, fixtures are created. This is done by pairing the team at the top of the bracket with the team at the bottom, the team in second with the team second-bottom, and so on. This is an automated process, and carries on until all teams have been assigned a fixture.

Finally, the fixtures are manually reviewed, to check that they're valid. A valid set of fixtures is one in which no team has already played their opponents in the Casaran phase. If two teams are scheduled to play each other a second time (which is the only invalid fixture in Casaran), the team closest in the table to either team can be substituted, provided that this doesn't create other invalid fixtures. Which teams will be swapped will be decided at the host's discretion, however, this will start by looking at the teams above and below both teams in their bracket. As far as possible, teams will not be swapped outside their bracket.

The manual review of fixtures is the only step that is done manually. The scorinator is designed to keep track of the Casaran tables, generate the brackets and fixtures for the next matchday, and detect invalid fixtures automatically.

After the fourth matchday of the Casaran stage, all teams with more or equal points to the team in 16th will advance to the knockout phase. The knockout phase will then start with a playoff round, which will be contested by all teams finishing equal on points with the team in 16th. This will cut the field down to 16 teams, after which the knockout phase proper will begin.

The knockout phase will be seeded. The 16 qualifiers will be ranked #1 to #16 based on their final Casaran table positions. In the round of 16, #1 will play #16, #2 will play #15, and so on. The remaining rounds will follow a preset order (the winner of #1 and #16 plays the winner of #8 and #9, and so on).

Scorination: The scorinator used would be PowerScore, which was created by Legalese ahead of Baptism of Fire 52. It is the successor to a similar scorinator used in AOCAF 34. It is powered by Javascript, which allows for simple in-browser use. The scorinator itself is specifically designed for the Casaran system, and has the ability to scorinate and keep track of matches, output the Casaran phase table, auto-pair teams in the Casaran phase, and handle knockout fixtures. The usual balance between the three Rs (rank, RP, randomness) is maintained.

The ranks used in the tournament would be the latest regional rankings.

A style mod of between -5 and 5 would be permitted for each team.

RP grading: The proposed system of RP grading would focus on quality over quantity. While I am unwilling to post the exact system that would be used, in order to prevent participants trying to game the system, RP points would be awarded for a team's roster posts as well as their roleplays each matchday. RP bonus would never degrade (if you get X points on matchday 1, you keep those points throughout the tournament). The system itself is designed so that users who don't RP every single matchday, but still produce good quality roleplays, will still end up with a greater RP bonus than those who post "little and often" - ie, users who contribute one-liners.

Entrants: As mentioned above, the Casaran system is highly versatile. As the teams are not sorted into groups, the only requirement is that any even number of teams enter the tournament, in order that each team will have a fixture each matchday. I would cut-off signups approximately 24 hours before the Casaran phase is scheduled to start, but the tournament thread would be open as soon as is possible.

Schedule: Here is the proposed schedule for the tournament.

Wed 7 August: Casaran phase, MD1
Fri 9 August: Casaran phase, MD2
Sun 11 August: Casaran phase, MD3
Tue 13 August: Casaran phase, MD4
Wed 14 August: Knockout phase playoffs (*)
Thu 15 August: Round of 16
Sat 17 August: Quarter-finals
Mon 19 August: Semi-finals
Tue 20 August: Third place playoff
Wed 21 August: Final

(*) It is possible that exactly 16 teams will qualify for the knockout stage (if the team in 16th has more points than the team in 17th). In the event of this occurring, the knockout phase playoffs will be omitted. The rest of the schedule will proceed as outlined above.

Experience: I've hosted the most recent Baptism of Fire with Legalese, and have maintained a domestic league for a while yet. I know it's not a huge amount, but it does show that I know my way around a scorinator, and that I'm able to be trusted with a major tournament.

IC details: Stadium details and information about Kinitaria and the host cities will be present in the tournament thread, subject to winning the host bid. Participants will be encouraged to make creative use of this information, but this will merely be as a suggestion and, of course, no bonus or penalty will apply for using it or otherwise.
Kinitaria
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted on Aug 1 2013, 03:15 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Vilita @ Aug 1 2013, 01:34 AM)
TIS - I notice you are bidding to host the AOCAF with a different method of scorination than you are bidding to host the World Cup with. Any reason?

At the time of writing, I wasn't planning on submitting a World Cup bid. I do see your point, and have been thinking about switching to the method that is normally seen in a World Cup. In order to, you know, actually gain some experience.

So, seeing as my bid does also sort of hinge on this a little, I can confirm that I'll be using xkoranate, not NSFS for this AOCAF. I was unable to edit it in this bid, and it must have slipped my mind to come back to it. (Thanks for jogging my memory!)
Inevitable
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted on Aug 1 2013, 04:38 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Voting will be open until Monday, August 5th.

Votes will only be counted from one user Account (even if you have puppets that can cast technically a vote, only the first vote will be used)
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsClosed TopicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0178 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->