Start new topic
AOCAF14 Signups
Posted: May 4 2006, 01:12 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Pacitalia @ May 3 2006, 08:25 PM)
Trying for a finalist matchup but predicting another disappointing finish, it's your favourite underachievers! Signing up...

I beg to differ - WE'RE everyone's favorite underacheivers!

And we'll be underachieving again in AOCAF 14.
Bedistan
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 4 2006, 01:37 PM
PMEmail Poster

Signing up for my first AOCAF.

In other words, fresh meat, coming up. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Geisenfried on May 4 2006, 01:37 PM
Geisenfried
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 4 2006, 02:13 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ May 4 2006, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (Pacitalia @ May 4 2006, 05:17 AM)
Anybody gonna update the rankings?

No, nobody will because all our nation's B-Team football squads are of exactly the same relative strength as four years previous, no matter what results happened last time wacko.gif

Chill your boots, Pac

It was just a question... crikey. ohmy.gif
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 4 2006, 08:40 PM
PMEmail Poster

Sarzonia wishes to sign back up.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: May 4 2006, 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Myrtannia @ May 3 2006, 04:41 PM)
The Myrtannia Dryads will return for another go at being regional doormats. Hopefully, we can score in more than one game, but as the qoute below reads, "Shutting Myrtannia out in football is like shooting squid in a barrel."

We wouldn't dare dream of hosting AOCAF - unless we had access to a scorinator. Any links/suggestions for a scorinator, anyone who's hosted this before?

Myrtannia, I e-mailed you the link that will let you download Leagion.

http://www.chd-koeln.de/rejistania/
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: May 5 2006, 12:42 AM
PMEmail Poster

Thanks. If I can get it to work, Myrtannia will enter a hosting bid.
Myrtannia
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

Posted: May 5 2006, 02:24 AM

Leagion can be a bitch, I'd recommend NSFootySim.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: May 5 2006, 09:24 AM

After a couple of hours dithering, the Football Association of Bettia hereby submits its official hosting bid.

Tournament Structure

18 teams - 2 groups of 4, 2 groups of 5
Group winners advance automatically to Quarter-Finals. Group runners-up and third-placed teams go to playoffs, seeded according to win percentage followed by goals scored per game then goals conceded per game.

20 teams - 5 groups of 4
Top three qualify for Last 16, plus best 4th placed team.

22 teams - 2 groups of 5, 2 groups of 6
Top three from groups of five, and top four from group of six qualify automatically for Last 16, along with best 4th (groups of five) or 5th (groups of six) placed teams (this will be decided on win percentage, followed by goals scored per game then goals conceded per game).

24 teams - 8 groups of 3
Each team plays each other twice. Top two qualify for Last 16.

As you can see, if there are enough entrants, the tournament will be structured slightly differently to past AOCAFs, in that the FAB hope to dispense with second round playoffs and go into a straight knockout competition after the group stages instead.

Groups will be drawn from pots seeded according to current AO rankings live on IRC. Bettia will automatically be drawn into Group One.

In contrast to past competitions, knockout stages (except for the 2nd round playoffs if there are only 18 entrants) will be drawn at random, FA Cup style (with numbered balls drawn out of a bag, even if the balls are just rolled up bits of paper). This will also be done on IRC for that live 'dramatic' effect.

Scorination:
Scorination will be done using NS-FootySim 1.1.3, using points rather than sequential ranking.

RP Bonus:
Before scorinating each matchday, each country will be awarded points according to the quality of its RP(s), up to a maximum of five. An imaginative and/or funny RP will score higher than a bog-standard match report, even those of a professional-looking (i.e Bettian smile.gif ) calibre. Also, a single RP of decent quality and length will score higher than lots of little RPs. In other words, a nation will be judged on the quality of its contribution on that given day.

Rosters:
Everybody likes rosters, especially well-written ones because they make RPing a hell of a lot easier. For this tournament, the RP-bonus of any nation which posts a roster will be multiplied according to the quality of their roster, from a minimum of x1.25 up to a maximum of x3. Team colours, various stats, clubs and background info on your players all help here.

As the latest version of NS-FootySim will be used, each nation can select a style modifier of -5 (ultra defensive) to +5 (ultra attacking).

Venues:

Group Stages:
To be confirmed depending on number of entrants, and therefore number of groups.

Last 16:
The Gasworks, Alice Street, Docklands Park, Heol Angharyd, Shubunkin Park, Stamping Ground, Al-Fath Stadium & Thamitra Gate.

Quarter-Finals:
Stadiwm Bettia, Campus Ground, Stamping Ground & Al-Fath Stadium.

Semi-Finals:
The Gasworks & Shubunkin Park.

3rd-Place Playoff:
Alice Street.

Final:
Stadiwm Bettia.

Around The Grounds:

Stadiwm Bettia
Home Team: Gabalfa City FC
Capacity: 102,000
    Designed by reknowned architect Kenzo Violin, Stadiwm Bettia is instantly recognisable by its prominent roof structure. Originally designed as a 81000-capacity all-seater stadium, the FAB took the decision to remove the lower tier of seats in favour of good old-fashioned terracing. The result... an unbelievably loud atmosphere that can intimidate all but the most hardy of opponents.
The Gasworks
Home Teams: Gabalfa Rovers FC, Gabalfa Gasheads GC
Capacity: 85,700
    Nestled in the heart of Gabalfa's industrial district on the site of an old gasworks (hence the name), The Gasworks became the new home of Gabalfa Rovers after their former home was destroyed by fire. The second-largest stadium in Bettia, it incorporates exceptional facilities for supporters (including it's famous halal cornish pasties) along with accommodation for visiting teams and state-of-the-art training and fitness facilities. It also looks rather nice.
The Stamping Ground
Home Team: Lorshill Utd FC
Capacity: 75,000
    An imposing stadium situated near to Lorshill's famous safari park. It's most distinctive feature is it's silver undulating roof, not just for its appearance but also its acoustic qualities. Although the original intention was simply to avoid disturbing the animals next door by controlling the amount of noise leaked into the neighbouring areas, it was soon discovered that having the sound from the fans channelled back into the stands makes for a sometimes cacophonous atmosphere.
Alice Street
Home Team: Butetown Dragons FC
Capacity: 72,000
    Situated in the heart of Gabalfa's Arab & Jewish quarter, Alice Street is the home of Butetown Dragons FC. Although basic by modern standards, it still remains a favourite amoung Bettian football fans simply because it's a good old-fashioned football ground, complete with plenty of terracing, a somewhat outspoken match announcer and some rather special meat pies. Alice Street has been recently extended by adding yet another tier.
Shubunkin Park
Home Teams: Akani Sands FC, Akani Sands Destroyers GC
Capacity: 71,000
    A stadium famous for it's comfortable seats, excellent facilities and vivid colour scheme, supposedly reflecting the vibrancy of this popular seaside resort just a stone's throw from the Nedalian border. Thankfully, the football on offer here is usually as bright as the stadium itself.

The Campus Ground
Home Teams: Grappenhall Utd FC, Grappenhall Grapplers GC
Capacity: 65,000
    Situated in the heart of Bettia's main university city, The Campus Ground features large banks of seating at its sides with shortened stands behind the goals offering views of the stunning Banastra rainforest. Of course, being situated in a rainforest meant that the pitch was often damper than usual compared with other Bettian grounds, and fans tended to get a bit wet. You'd have thought that being in a city full of students and geniuses, someone would've had the bright idea of putting a fully-retractable roof on the damn thing sooner than they did.
Al-Fath Stadium
Home Teams: Sukatra Tigers FC, Sukatra Sabres GC
Capacity: 63,000
    Dubbed the 'Cauldron of Noise' by commentators, this ground more than lives up to its name when full. A tight stadium with steeply banked stands, Al-Fath has been a long-time favourite with the FAB for hosting big matches when a victory is vital for the national team - thats the plan anyway, it doesn't always work out like that.
Docklands Park
Home Teams: CPD Porthbalfa, Porthbalfa Blazers GC
Capacity: 62,000
    Standing on the banks of Balfa estuary, this new stadium is a testament to the staggering rise of the local team CPD Porthbalfa. Its retractable roof makes it a great multi-purpose arena, hosting concerts and various other sporting events.
Heol Angharyd
Home Teams: Ceffinton Town FC, Ceffinton Turbos GC
Capacity: 57,000
    Located in the heart of a less-than-well-off residential area, this is a state-of-the-art stadium with a refreshingly simple design built as part of a grand urban regeneration project (and also to replace Ceffinton Town's former ground which was ageing quite badly). The architects of Heol Angharyd decided to let the football take centre stage by adopting a more minimalist concept, accentuated by sweeping curves representing the rolling hills and highlands of the region.
Thamitra Gate
Home Teams: Tamrida FC, Tamrida Warriors GC
Capacity: 55,000
    The Thamitra Gate stadium was specially designed to reflect the architecture of Tamrida's many mosques. After a long, drawn-out project which saw umpteen design changes, the result is a ground with a unique style and character with floodlight columns resembling minerets. Vaguely amusingly, Thamitra Gate is sometimes mistaken for a mosque by clueless tourists.
Pajajaran Stadium
Home Teams: Persubarnas FC, Subarnas Volcanoes GC
Capacity: 52,000
    An incredibly tight ground with seats banked at over 45 degrees on three sides, this ground looks as though it was shoehorned into the residential area that it is situated in. Of course, this means that fans are closer to the action, the atmosphere is intense, and the views from all parts of the ground are good. On the minus side, parking can be a bit of a nightmare.

This post has been edited by Bettia on May 5 2006, 09:26 AM
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: May 5 2006, 05:13 PM
PMEmail Poster

For now, the potential hosting bid for Myrtannia is being put on hold - my computer can't work Leagion, and I'm fairly busy today, so downloading NSFootySim is going to have to wait 'til tomorrow at least. Plus, in the face of Bettia's bid, we don't think we'd stand much of a chance of winning.

Also, the Myrtannia Association of Football Clubs is officially extending an invitation to any design concepts for a team uniform for our national club, the Myrtannia Dryads. All concepts will be given due consideration. Thanks in advance!
Myrtannia
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

Posted: May 5 2006, 06:09 PM
PMEmail Poster

Iksonic want to participate in this tournament. I will do my best for my team to move higher than the previous tournament.
Iksonic
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: May 5 2006, 09:09 PM

For now, the potential hosting bid for Myrtannia is being put on hold - my computer can't work Leagion, and I'm fairly busy today, so downloading NSFootySim is going to have to wait 'til tomorrow at least.

OOC: I was wondering if this could be because Myrtannia's computer is running an older version of Windows.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: May 5 2006, 11:11 PM
PMEmail Poster

Myrtannia's computer is running on Windows XP, so no, it's not old, and neither is the computer.
Myrtannia
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

Posted: May 6 2006, 04:58 AM

I've never managed to get Leagion working - I just don't understand how it works. NSFS, however, has never failed for me.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: May 6 2006, 08:58 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ May 6 2006, 04:58 AM)
I've never managed to get Leagion working - I just don't understand how it works. NSFS, however, has never failed for me.

The difference is that the Leagion download is a .class file and NSFS is a .java file. When programming in Java, a .java file is what you actually manipulate when programming. For example...

CODE

public class HelloWorld
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello, world.");
}
}

That's a simple .java file. Meanwhile, a .class file is the machine code translation of the programming code. You see, computers don't actually understand programming code, and so programmers have to use certain programs called compilers to translate your programming code into machine code. The computer can take the machine code and translate that into the binary it works on. If you were to actually look at a .class file, it'd look like somebody pressed random buttons on the keyboard.

While some programs can take this directly, most programs actually take the .java programming code and compile it into machine code, rather than taking machine code directly. That's why it's easier to run NSFS than Leagion.

Now do you understand? Or am I just rambling on in programmer-speak?
Geisenfried
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 6 2006, 10:01 AM

Ah, that'd be why, then. See, I'm a guy who did a single Java module as part of my Bachelor's degree and managed to pass it without writing anything other than the old 'Helloworld' thing in the first week.

Hence I use NSFS and a text file biggrin.gif Cheers, Geisenfried
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0195 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->