Start new topic
AO Open Wheel Championships
Posted: Sep 7 2006, 04:43 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

"... and with just a few minutes to go till we begin, let's join our roving reporter on the track, Tim Marlin. Tim?"

The Sonastra Sports Network cameras cut to a rather excitable-looking man standing at the back of the grid - although whether that excitment is due to the anticipation of what could be a great race, or just something to do with the scantily-clad ladies holding umbrellas for the drivers' benefit remains to be seen.

"Yes, you join me here on the starting grid. The atmosphere here is building up nicely, the fans looking forward to a cracking race. A bit of a shock to see who's sitting at the back though - Cameron Sorley has been looking good all weekend, but a disastrous qualifying run sees him taking up the rear. Equally shocking is who is sitting just in front of him - Naruto and series leader Jercei Iobabao, both of whom had error-strewn qualifying laps."

He continues his little walk, pointing out the various competitors for the viewers back home - motor sports are still a fledging thing in Bettia, but as all other sports, the public are starting to embrace it. Eventually he comes to the front of the grid.

"...and sitting proudly in pole position is our very own Bobby Gashead. Let's see if we can get a few words with him..." he says as he and his trusty camera crew bustle their way past the various team engineers and officials surrounding the garishly-coloured green and orange car.

"Bobby? Tim Marlin, Sonastra Sports Network. A few words for the folks back home? You're on pole for this race - how does it feel?"

"Very good mate. After the good start to the season, I feel I've underperformed these past two of three races so I'm looking to put that right here. So far, things have been going great - the car's set up nicely and feels good, we've been looking sharp all weekend, and to qualify six-tenths ahead of everyone else with a sub-20 second lap is a real confidence booster. I just hope I can keep it together today."

"So what are your thoughts for today's race? How do you see it going?"

"Hmmmm. Well, don't expect Jeri to stay at the back for long - he's had a good warmup, and so has Cameron. Fitzy's looking on the ball too, so he's one to watch out for here..."

"I'm sorry Bobby, that's the two-minute warning, we have to leave it here. Good luck, the Blessed Realm's counting on ya! And so it's back to the studio for race commentary with Dewi Butler and Ian Abdurrahman..."
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Sep 7 2006, 07:07 PM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs disappoints again

Following his pattern Rk-Mrs does some good moves but in the end fails to perform, ending up in 12th.
Rk-Mrs struggled at the beginning of the race quickly getting passed by many racers. However after his first pit stop he really started to move. He made many passes and got as high as third position.
With only 22 laps Rk-Mrs was sitting in 5th place and looked to be turning in one of his best races yet, but alas his car gave out and he was forced to the sidelines in a mere 12th place.
Following another disappointing performance Tex-Mex will be stepping into his car for the next set of qualifying. Let's see how his kleptochase skills transfer over to the race course.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 8 2006, 06:58 AM
PMEmail Poster

Modry confirmed as driver for two races
The Chacor-DR AOOWC team today confirmed speculation that Kristjan Durant will, at least temporarily, race his last race for the team at Belle Isle. A statement released by the team said that "we are please with Kristjan's performances so far this season, although there is room for improvement. We can confirm that we have been contacted by the World Grand Prix Championship team LEC® LivEng Racing™ about releasing Kristjan from his races for the Chacor-DR team.

"While we have not yet issued a response to LEC LivEng Racing, Kristjan has indicated that he'd like to take a short break from AOOWC racing to carefully consider his future, and we respect his decision. Therefore, Janislav Modry will provisionally take over the Chacor-DR racing seat for two races, at Portland and Road America, afterwhich we will again evaluate our options."

Durant did not finish the last race at the Milwaukee Mile.
Chacor
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 8 2006, 08:03 PM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Tex-Mex busts Rk-Mrs up

In his first ever competitive round behind the wheel of a racecar Tex-Mex proved that he is at least as good of a driver as Rk-Mrs. He finished fourth in qualifying and set himself up for a good chance at earning points in the race itself.
After his race Tex-Mex had this to say, "I'm a 60 year old man and I took 4th in my first qualifying round. What is wrong with Rk-Mrs? He just isn't a good racer. I think it's confidence and instincts that he's lacking."
We tried to reach Rk-Mrs for his comment, but we could only reach his mother Ma-Mrs, who said that they had no comment.
Still a nice day for Az-cz fans. A good result and a chance to see one of the greatest Az-cz sports heroes competing again our both reasons to celebrate.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 10 2006, 08:33 AM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei Laz
Aj-Ft

Tex-Mex crashes out

After a nice qualifying run a lot was expected of Tex-Mex, but he failed rather early in the race, failing to earn any points and pushing Az-cz to the bottom of the rankings.
"It's harder than I thought. Most of the time it's ok, but I made one mistake and that doomed me.", Tex-Mex explained after his race. "It was a good experience and yes I failed to earn any points. But I still don't understand Rk-Mrs's struggles. I'm a 60 year old beginner. He's supposed to be a pro. There's a difference."
Rk-Mrs will be back racing again from the next race. The team has announced no plans to change the long term driver at this point.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 11 2006, 02:46 PM

Race Highlights

"...and the drivers are approaching the start line to get this race underway, Bettia's own Bobby Gashead starting from fifth place... and we are GO! And Gashead has made an excellent start overtaking Schwarz almost immediately. Well, he couldn't have asked for a better start there, he was on the ball straight away. Oh, wait a minute, he's not finished yet, he's having a go at Naruto going into the corner... and he's taken him! I don't know what Naruto was thinking there, letting Gashead pass him so easily. Oh, and now he's having a go at Mrs... and he's done it! Well, we're not even through this first lap and Gashead has already fought his way from P5 on the grid up to P2. A flying start by the young Bettian and no mistake."

Lap 17 / 18

"I don't know, ever since going in for that early pitstop, Gashead's pace seems to have dropped dramatically - perhaps the new tyres haven't had a chance to warm up properly, he does seem to be struggling to find some real grip out there. Schwarz is lapping much faster at the moment, he's all over Gashead's tail and... oh well, that was kind of inevitable really. Schwarz just pulled out of Gashead's slipstream and passed him easily just as they crossed the start / finish line, and to make things worse Mrs is looming large behind him - if he's not careful he's going to lose another place. Oh, there he goes, another place lost far too easily. Gashead has really got to get back on the pace to stand a chance here."

Lap 20

"Gashead's having a wretched time of it out there, he's still lapping considerably slower than his competitors. Durant now, fighting it out with Gashead with an excellent overtaking opportunity going into turn eight... oh, that was far too easy. Gashead looks rattled out there, and Iobabao's taken full advantage of the situation - that was a clever bit of driving from the V&T driver there."

Lap 56

"Gashead and Durant battling it out for third place going into turn nine, and Durant's won it easily - it looks like Gashead's having the same old problems with the fresh tyres. And Durant's going into the pits now - seems like a bit of a waste of time, going to all that trouble to gain a place only to give it up again. And look at that - the pit crew are having trouble with that fuel line, it's jammed in! Look at Durant, he's fuming! His mechanics have made a royal hash-up of that pit-stop, and that's got to be good for Gashead!"

Lap 60

"Iobabao coming into the pits now for his last scheduled stop - Gashead moves up into second place with less than a quarter of the race to run - can he hold it?"

Lap 69

"Here's Naruto now, simply cruising it seems. He's built up a healthy lead and is looking comfortable... OH MY WORD! Oh, this is unbelivable! He's totally overcooked it going into turn nine and he's span off - say hello to Mr Tyrewall! Against all the odds, Gashead is now the race leader with just eight laps to go and more than ten seconds ahead of the second-placed driver. This is amazing, victory is within Bettia's grasp - just don't do anything stupid Bobby, DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!"

Lap 77

"...with eleven and a half seconds to spare, Bobby Gashead takes the chequered flag for Bettia, and what a proud day for him it is too. Just look at him, punching the air with delight as he salutes the crowd, including the small contingent who have made the journey over here, waving their flags and cheering their hero. Bobby Gashead take his maiden race victory, which by my calculations puts him equal third in the drivers championship. Well done Bobby!"
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Sep 11 2006, 07:29 PM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs pretends to be good again, crashes again

The way Rk-Mrs is going this newspaper is being forced to consider discontinuning reporting on him. After every race all we have to write is, Rk-Mrs starts well and crashes out. There just isn't any need to cover such a racer. We'll see what happens from the next race, but unless there is popular outpouring for Rk-Mrs coverage, we might discontinue coverage after the next race.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:49 AM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs finishes 6th

After a long string of disasters Rk-Mrs finally finished a course succesfully. He benefited from the smaller number of laps in this race, the fewest of the whole championship to avoid making any mistakes that would hurt him and came through with a decent result.
"I'm pleased. It's a step in the right direction," explained Rk-Mrs. However Tex-Mex was still not accepting of the results. "Sixth place? We're celebrating sixth place?", he complained. "Sixth place is not a good result considering all the chasers are in their first AOWC. Someone like Schreider should be pleased for passing experienced pros, but in the AOWC they should all be on the same level."
Despite Tex-Mex's complaints Rk-Mrs has advanced in a positive direction.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 16 2006, 01:17 AM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs back to old ways

After finishing sixth in the previous race there was some optimism in the Rk-Mrs camp. He had a decent qualifying run coming in 10th and they thought they might be able to make some noise in the race.
And make noise they did. They started out running quite well. They proceeded to as high as fourth and were running pretty well. There was some thought that Rk-Mrs would move closer to the top 10.
However as is his standard plan, he messed up. He made an error on the first turn of lap 49 and crashed into Marquis of Falcania and was out of the race.
He now sits in 14th in the overall standings. It seems mind boggling to think that there are racers worse than Rk-Mrs, but probably they'll pass him in due time.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 18 2006, 01:40 AM

First win for Falcania at, well, anything, really.

After a dismal start to the season, Julian Marquis has lived up to his reputation by burning through the fast corners of Burke Lakefront airport into first place at the AOOWC earlier today. The racing driver is representing Falcania in the first open wheel championship and so far has been met with a string of dismal failures. However, today was different. Test driver Ben J. Johnson was on hand to talk to the Mathdon Expendent today.

"Julian grew up in Featbridge, and his real forte was burning rings around Featbridge Aerodrome. He knows airports, does Julian. That's why I'm not surprised he placed first today, nearly ten seconds ahead of Fitzimmons. I don't know what it is, but those two don't seem to get on very well. Julian's understandably pleased, and I just hope he doesn't let the victory get to his head."

The next race takes place at Michigan Int'l Speedway. The 250 lap behemoth of a circuit will surely try the nerves of our driver. Details will be in the Expedent first, as always.

This post has been edited by Falcania on Sep 18 2006, 01:42 AM
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 19 2006, 07:11 PM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs returns to normal

After finishing in 7th in the last competition there was a slight bit of optimism among Az-cz race fans. Thankfully for us Rk-Mrs was there to put that right out in his most recent race.
He qualified in fourth and there was some thought he might compete for a spot on the podium. However it took him only four laps to plunge down to 14th, where he probably felt more comfortable. And after pitting on lap 50 saw himself in last place. He eventually climbed back up to 7th, before crashing on lap 128 to end up in 15th place.
As for the reason for his crash, I think you can all guess. Rk-Mrs made a driver's error and caused himself to crash. He has had a few problems caused from outside his car but mostly he just loses by himself.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 19 2006, 09:58 PM
PMEmail Poster

OOC: What's the key to getting a good driver? My setups are ok, but I always lose during the race.

Setup Race Differnce between Setup and Race

8,14,-6
13,8,+5
4,6, -2
6,13, -7
6,12,-6
6,14,-8
3,13,-10
7,6, +1
12,16, -4
6,7 -1
3,15 -12

So in total I've given up 50 spots compared to what my setup would indicate, or an average of 4.5 spots per race. So clearly the driver needs help. Anyone willing to share advice. That also leads to.....

IC:

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

Rk-Mrs pit crew fed up

The bad feelings from his pit crew have boiled over and it seems that Rk-Mrs chances of coming back next season are just about over.
Rk-Mrs' crew chief Tm-Tylr complained to us, "we're working our asses off for Rk-Mrs and he squanders it every time. Now we're not the greatest pit crew, but we're pretty good. I'm pretty confident that if we had a racer who didn't consistently waste our work we'd be in the top half of the standings. Unfortunately we've got that donkey Rk-Mrs."
Considering his feud with Tex-Mex and this Rk-Mrs would have to put up very strong results to get invited back at this point.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 20 2006, 09:18 AM
PMEmail Poster

OOC: Have you been planning your pit and tyre strategies correctly?

IC:
Durant to quit AOOWC
It has today been announced that Kristjan Durant will race one final race this year for the Chacor-DR team, following an injury to the LEC® LivEng Racing™ World Grand Prix Championship team's driver Mike Daniels. Durant has been called in to replace Daniels for the final two races of the season, in Cyclonesville and at Ashford. The Chacor-DR team confirmed today that Janislav Modry would race in New Hampshire and in Vancouver, with the race seat for Laguna Seca open pending Durant's possible return from F1GP.
Chacor
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Sep 21 2006, 07:43 PM

Strong run marred by collision

Vilita & Turori driver Jericei Iobabao retook the championship lead with just two races to go in the Inagural Atlantian Oceania Open Wheel Championships after a strong runner up finish today. Iobabao looked strong all race long, and might have come home with the checkered flag if not for a mid-race collision with main championship rival Kraig Fitzsimmons. Fitzsimmons had been behind Iobabao all race long, but a Caution flag allowed the Casarin driver to catch up to the Turorian after Iobabao pitted. Noticably sub-par to the Vilita & Turori driver throughout the race, Fitzsimmons made a daring move to over take Iobabao but the wheels touched, sending Fitzsimmons into the wall and Iobabao sliding up the track losing track position.

The encounter was the end of Fitzsimmons' race, but Iobabao would fight back, regaining his position in the top three, but running out of time at the end, finishing runner up to Falcania's Julian Marquis who won his second race of the season. After re-taking the points lead, fate is now in Jericei Iobabao's hands, having only to finish higher than Fitzsimmons in the final two events to clinch the title, with all other competitors already mathematically eliminated from the championship chase.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Sep 21 2006, 08:47 PM
PMEmail Poster

Az-cz Scroll
Lei-Laz
Aj-Ft

An interview with Az-cz racing owner, Ltr-Mn

Aj-Ft: Tell us about your emotions so far this season?

Ltr-Mn: It's been tough. From getting the car stolen early on, to the friendliness of the Vilitans to all the crashes, it's been a long up and down season.

Aj-Ft: Considering his third place finish in the most recent race what would you say the chances of Rk-Mrs being the driver for the next season are?

Ltr-Mn: Up in the air. There are a number of other drivers who'd like that chance. If he can turn in two similar results he'll probably get invited back, but otherwise I don't know.

Aj-Ft: Speaking of getting invited back what do you think the chances of the Az-cz being on the AOMC next season are?

Ltr-Mn: Well, we're still a ways from the top 10 automatic invite back but I'd say our commitment to the championship surpasses that of most teams and we'll get a wild card invite as a testament to our dedication. That's the hope anyways.

Aj-Ft: What's your take on the Tex-Mex situation?

Ltr-Mn: Look I was involved in getting him in the car for his race. So I wasn't against that. He's a legend, basically you defer to him. It would've been ugly if I turned down his request.

Aj-Ft: How do you think Rk-Mrs will finish the season?

Ltr-Mn: We're hoping for two strong runs and that he finishes both courses.

Aj-Ft: Can you tell us about some other racers being considered?

Ltr-Mn: Well other than Al-Unsr, who Tex-Mex mentioned, I'd rather not.

Aj-Ft: Alright. Thanks for taking the time to talk us.

Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0227 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->