Start new topic
OOC questions of the situation in SN
Posted: Jan 4 2012, 01:47 AM
PMEmail Poster

Ok. The whole situation in Sorthern Northland has me asking myself some questions that I am not quite sure how to answer. So here goes asking what others think on a few issues.

First: Sorthern Northland was utterly, or nearly so, destroyed by Nuclear Holocaust. Falcania and I have been Rping a situation along what we have described as uninhabited eastern edge of the country where fallout would have been less than should have been seen in more populated areas. Winds can also change the amount of fallout seen in certain areas, or as Vilita has shown, a strong jet stream can carry the bulk of the radiation to somewhere completely unforeseen.

A lot of build up for a simpler(though I doubt that fact) question. Would the amount of radiation present have less of an effect on mutating species such as the Falcanians (whom I assume to have a 50% or better avian DNA)and the Vegai (Who have a 15-20% Draconic DNA)? Would the radiation effects simply take longer to show themselves on the aforementioned? Or should we say the levels present were acceptable for humans as well? And if the effects are different, then how would other races such as Dwarves and Elves be affected? Told you it was a simple question.

Secondly: Sorthern Northland has a proud history. How would it be perceived if the three nations that showed up with rescue efforts, Vilita, Falcania, and ASMV were to each take a part in holding this history through rebuilding efforts once the greater effects of the devastation begin to subside? Sorthern Northland would be split into three parts of one greater whole much like RL Germany after WWII. This would allow preservation of the nation as well as add a new element to the region.

Thirdly: it somehow feels wrong that I may have to declare war on a bunch of geese to save lives.

This post has been edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Jan 4 2012, 01:49 AM
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 4 2012, 07:17 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Look at all the stats and graphs on the new Analysis feature. Falcania is -130 eco-friendliness. -1017(!) environmental beauty. -8.573 health and -30 life expectancy. -405 weather. I always imagined Falcania as a land of blasted toxic wastes outside the cities; Falcanians are largely radiation-proof, or otherwise willing to admit to dying young.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 5 2012, 11:51 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Andossa Se Mitrin Vega @ Jan 4 2012, 02:47 AM)
Ok. The whole situation in Sorthern Northland has me asking myself some questions that I am not quite sure how to answer. So here goes asking what others think on a few issues.

First: Sorthern Northland was utterly, or nearly so, destroyed by Nuclear Holocaust. Falcania and I have been Rping a situation along what we have described as uninhabited eastern edge of the country where fallout would have been less than should have been seen in more populated areas. Winds can also change the amount of fallout seen in certain areas, or as Vilita has shown, a strong jet stream can carry the bulk of the radiation to somewhere completely unforeseen.

A lot of build up for a simpler(though I doubt that fact) question. Would the amount of radiation present have less of an effect on mutating species such as the Falcanians (whom I assume to have a 50% or better avian DNA)and the Vegai (Who have a 15-20% Draconic DNA)? Would the radiation effects simply take longer to show themselves on the aforementioned? Or should we say the levels present were acceptable for humans as well? And if the effects are different, then how would other races such as Dwarves and Elves be affected? Told you it was a simple question.

When it comes to how this would affect both Falcanians and Vegai, I think the answers are actually easy to come up with on your own, since in both cases, you're talking groups that have genetic/ethnic features distinctly unique to them. I don't know of anyone else here who uses either a bird-people concept or a dragon-people concept (over simplified, I know - just go with me for a moment wink.gif ), so anything you choose to use regarding it is highly unlikely to face objections. Now, if there were elves and dwarves involved, I can think of a few nations with input, but that seems neither here nor there.

All I know is that if I'd gotten actively involved in this, any contaminated Legalites would most likely develop symptoms of radiation sickness.

Secondly: Sorthern Northland has a proud history. How would it be perceived if the three nations that showed up with rescue efforts, Vilita, Falcania, and ASMV were to each take a part in holding this history through rebuilding efforts once the greater effects of the devastation begin to subside? Sorthern Northland would be split into three parts of one greater whole much like RL Germany after WWII. This would allow preservation of the nation as well as add a new element to the region.

Again, that's up to y'all. I know the last nation to get nuked into oblivion was Tachbe, which was covered in a glass dome, and rendered uninhabitable. CH has already marked SN as "reserved for other uses", which is code for Don't Even Think About Asking for Land Here, so I don't know if it's necessary to rebuild, especially since you're then asking for the thorny issue of who ends up with it after the rebuilding's over. Not to mention that some of that should probably include SN's input, as he's still around (unlike Tachbe, who was apparently glassed because he left the region mid-war RP).

Thirdly: it somehow feels wrong that I may have to declare war on a bunch of geese to save lives.

If you'd like, I'll be happy to give you some shotguns, orange vests, and a dog. However, the dog might laugh at you if you miss wink.gif
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Jan 5 2012, 12:51 PM

I like to think you'd nuke Falcania, and the people would just shrug and go "AND WHAT? COME AT ME BRO"
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 5 2012, 02:39 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Falcania @ Jan 5 2012, 01:51 PM)
I like to think you'd nuke Falcania, and the people would just shrug and go "AND WHAT? COME AT ME BRO"

Heh. I'm sure there'd still be a little molting at least - not to mention the deaths from the other things a nuke appears to bring, like a -explicitive removed--ton of destruction and fire wink.gif

This post has been edited by Legalese on Jan 5 2012, 02:40 PM
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Jan 5 2012, 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Legalese @ Jan 5 2012, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Falcania @ Jan 5 2012, 01:51 PM)

Heh. I'm sure there'd still be a little molting at least - not to mention the deaths from the other things a nuke appears to bring, like a -explicitive removed--ton of destruction and fire wink.gif

Yea, its one thing to be genetically resistant to radiation, but you will have a hard time convincing people that any biological being is genetically resistant to the shock wave produced by any large scale explosion, no less a nuclear one - before even considering the heat and projectile debris.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Jan 11 2012, 09:51 PM
PMEmail Poster

Alright, I haven't been a part of this event but I'm wondering if this has any repercussions to some of us other non-warring nations of the region, and if some sort of new regional policy comes out of this. According to the most recent map, Bear Islands, Maraque, and Sportgirls are also close to the former SN. One would think firing the ignore cannons wouldn't do much (if anything) should contaminated air and water from nuclear war reach a nations borders, and/or a government official stands on the shore commanding "stop!" at it, and it does.

Since 95X has a really small defense force it can only really handle its current functions which are border patrol and domestic peace-keeping. Scottfire has always had a large military but that's for domestic production purposes and isn't on the NS map. Salem Oregon's my other nation in the region, also isn't on the map, and is more of a snarky parody than anything else.

Vilita's post about winds carrying the radiation through that nation answered something on the back of my mind, which was if things would affect 95X in some manner where I'd have to get involved. (if anyone remembers, RL Chernobyl was detected before USSR told anyone by spy satellite photography and higher than usual radiation readings on the West Coast of the US. And radiation from Fukushima was also detected from across the ocean.)
95X-Scottfire
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 11 2012, 10:03 PM

People can RP it however they wish. If they want it to affect them, they can RP that, if they don't want it to, they can ignore it or RP that it hasn't effected them. As long as you have a good story why, we will all run with it.

I wanted to take a city off my map. This was a good way to do it. Prior to having that realization, I had RP'd that there was no effect outside of SN.

When I decided I wanted to be effected, I wrote an RP to explain why and how
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Jan 12 2012, 12:25 AM
PMEmail Poster

Reality has little to do with nations that choose to ignore events in the region around them. In this case a high wind sheer could protect your nation or it could be anything else imaginable. That is the glory of this game. take part in what you want and forget the rest.
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 12 2012, 09:57 AM

My personal theory is that the wind blew the radiation down in a single strand to wipe out that Vilitan city, and then blew it round back again to the danger zone, touching nothing else.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 12 2012, 11:33 PM
PMEmail Poster

(1) To add to this "genetic superiority" mantra, I'd also note that most organisms resistant to damages induced by environmental toxins, radiation, and the like are seldom found in environments free of the like. Something about being specialized consumers...

So in a realistic environment, if such a species as "resilient" Falcanians could be found, they would most likely be confined to the toxic waste dumps of the world, but little else outside of them. Which means Falcanian possession of nuclear weapons is actually a nightmarish terraforming project waiting to happen...

That said, I'm pretty sure there is probably some hawkish (no pun intended) nation willing to test that hypothesis. But I personally guarantee it won't end well.

(2) ASMV - you needn't worry about declaring war on a bunch of geese to save lives. Snorth and I have discussed this beforehand and we have something in the bag. If you want to declare war on geese just for fun, well, then whoa nellies...

*prepares the Nellie Scout Corps to start selling Nellie Scout Cookies to every ASMV household*

(3) If we want to make this a realistic dispersion of radioactive materials, it is entirely possible in nature that a stream of high velocity winds could carry the particles over such a great distance. But upon arriving at the destination, the wind shear diminishes to such an extent that the particles are dispersed to levels that are above environmental background levels but still within nonlethal limits. Weather is such a fickle thing - you could forecast radioactive snow yet manage to get cats and dogs instead.
Achtklan
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0206 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->