Start new topic
AO Military Comparisons
Posted: Apr 30 2013, 03:37 AM
PMEmail Poster

Note- If anyone knows how I can post my spreadsheet on here I will.

Ok. Where to start with this military analysis for active nations with map claims. And yes, that means I ran a comparison on all 74 of them.

First let me say that in no way does this analysis bear any weight on the way we choose to RP our national militaries. The way we handle things IC stands alone. However I do believe this analysis bears viewing as the numbers represented here are representative of the way we each answer our issues for our nations.

The military statistics used for this analysis have come directly from Absolution. However, Absolution only reports the dollar amounts in each nation’s currency. Therefore I also used NS Economy to get the numbers to convert overall budgets to the USD for equality in comparison.

Also of note is that this only compares funded state militaries and says nothing of any private forces that any of us could hire.

Now for the nuts and bolts of what I have prepared.

I figured the overall military budget for each nation converted to USD and subtracted 15% (a bit on the high side for such use) for upkeep. I then took the active military personnel as given by Absolution and divided to obtain a “per-active military budget” that would include everything else including training and procurement. For the purposes of this analysis we must assume that more money spent equals better equipment and training as factoring in anything else becomes purely subjective to the one doing the analysis.

Due to the extremely high numbers that come along with NS both in budget and personnel, I then added the square root (square roots gave me workable numbers) of the active budget to the square root of the active personnel plus a square root number based on number of divisions, squadrons, and wings. (after all a thousand division difference should matter and such units are not wholly dependant upon active military size).

That’s basically it. Simplistic and I am sure full of a few holes. But I would guess my numbers close enough to be worthy of mention or else I would not place them here.

Now for some interesting stats.

Of the 74 nations compared, a full 20 spend absolutely nothing on defense.

12 others spend $500k (per active military) or less on defense with one nation spending a measly $83, 892.03 per active military.

That means just over 43% have little to no state run military and are only as protected as they can afford to pay for. That is kind of scary.

By comparison, 4 nations spend more than 10 million per active military. How much nicer must it be for the soldier sporting that amount compared to those on the bottom end?

3 nations boast of over 20 million active personnel.

3 nations (that have militaries) have less than 100k active personnel

1 nation (when counting reserves also) comes up just short of having a billion man military.

All of those are facts straight off Absolution and are not affected by my own comparisons.

Now for the power ranking stats I have come up with which reflect a combination of military size and budgets.

20 nations have no Military - An Blascoad Mor, Austenersy, Bettia, Carpathia and Ruthenia, Commerce Heights, Hutt River, Kjeligsted, Ko-oren, Kiryu-shi, Lemurian Oceania, Maklohi Vai, Maraque, Osarius, Paripana, Scandonia, Svengarda, Vilita, Wight, Yelvoldia, The Limerick Isles

5 nations rank as substandard - Kinitaria, Lalo Limahina, Paragon, Inis Na Dun, New Gordanopia

12 nations rank below average - Misrantis, McKarthya, Nellietopia, Ahlenfi, 95X, Dorian and Sonya, Savski Venac, Sportgirls, The Pazhujeb Islands, New West Guiana, Jay Industries, Antaly

19 nations rank as average - Jeru FC, Cosumar, Legalese, Zirakul, Valanora, Whittoria, Israeli Apartheid Client State,
Leorudo, The Inevitable Syndicate, New Cloudsdale, Turori, Secundus Kasius, The Bear Islands, Kishrael, Ibex, Blouman Empire, Undisputed Atols, Glascovia, Naitpyge

8 nations rank above average - Starblaydia, Geisenfried, Thatius, New Montreal States, Farfadillis, Warkus, Demot, Khytenna

9 nations rank as elite - Pacitalia, Nojika, Audioslavia, Hypocria, Bazalonia, ASMV, Falcania, Milchama, Dominion of Drakia

1 nation ranks in Rawrrrrcrush Status - Northern Bettia

user posted image

Now open for discussion

This post has been edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Apr 30 2013, 03:40 AM
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Apr 30 2013, 06:30 AM
PMEmail Poster

Wow, nice work. If you want your original spreadsheet on here, I can't think of anything better than posting the link to a google doc. I also did not expect so many nations with no or almost no military.

Time for defense treaties: Bear Islands, IACS and ASMV are apparently the only close nations with militaries. I don't know what my nation can offer you, but in case anything goes wrong, we can always count on you, right?
Ko-oren
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Apr 30 2013, 09:12 AM
PMEmail Poster

Really interesting work ASMV. I'm ready to embrace this New(ish) World Order... a top echelon of superpowers, with one crazy-ass ultrapower that could overrun the region in an eyeblink.

As I started reading, I thought "I hope I haven't got some massive military budget, because I don't RP having any military worth speaking of."

Then, when I found I indeed had no military, I thought, "Hey, that's not fair, I've got no military!"

But of course this fits my RP perfectly, with ASMV as my superpower ally who takes care of business in exchange for a small piece of Wight on which to base the area's biggest 'peacekeeping' task force. While we assumed they were there to keep an eye on Starblaydia, it seems in the reshuffle that Audioslavia have quietly armed themselves to the teeth while keeping everyone distracted with their domination of the football world, and are our new muscle-next-door.

Ko-oren: I would offer ASMV a large parcel of land on which to base another peace-keeping force - alright, the Vegai will then own the Salamantic, but nobody is going to mess with us when our 'big dragon sister' is in town. It's worked for me...
Wight
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Apr 30 2013, 09:55 AM
PMEmail Poster

Fantastic job on the spreadsheet, it's really interesting to see where I stand. It's a little scary that I rank just below Leorudo, as we've been a little cold (IC'ly) towards each other in the past. This claims I have more manpower, which is true even in the case of our RP Populations, but he has the superior budget. Interesting stuff indeed.

I'll have to work on upping my defence spending... We can cut some of the education budget...
Inevitable
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Apr 30 2013, 10:31 AM
PMEmail Poster

Just pointing out that this has nothing to do with how we actually RP our nations and their militaries. I just thought the comparison interesting due to its origins in our own answers to issues.

Northern Bettia shocked me. And while I knew some of the dormant nations would be massive, I had no idea Pacitalia would rate out that high.

And 10 nations outranking Star? The Purple Powerhouse has surely fallen a great deal, if this were to be the standard.

@Ko-oren. I will check on the google doc thing after work tonight. On D&S's computer this morning. Thanks
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Apr 30 2013, 08:50 PM
PMEmail Poster

Hah! how typical of you anthrope-centric people to calculate military prowess via the amount of money you spend on the military!

on a slightly more serious note, Nellietopia is a country filled with purple-stinging nellies. The mere mention of "Nellie Scout Cookies" sends chills down the spine of your average AOian (unfortunately, we decided to go with the mean average... AO happens to be a very extreme place...). Notwithstanding the defense responsibilities have been delegated to an antiquated order of critters (AFLAC), most nellies are equipped with a self-defense mechanisms. We even have plausible defense strategies against WMD attacks, short of everyone deciding to destroy the entire NSverse (while we're still limited to one place tongue.gif).

And everyone knows that Vanorians are godmods... (not to suggest in the slightest that Valanora is a godmodder...)
Achtklan
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 1 2013, 04:23 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

QUOTE (Andossa Se Mitrin Vega @ Apr 30 2013, 07:31 AM)
And while I knew some of the dormant nations would be massive, I had no idea Pacitalia would rate out that high.

That was the whole point. ph34r.gif
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 1 2013, 06:02 PM
PMEmail Poster

While really neat and very well done, it really doesn't set the mark for Valanora, since the "nation" of Valanora is just the account for the three nations that actually make up the realm. And as already prefaced, we also RP our militaries quite differently. For example, Valanora has a small, technological advanced military, capable of deploying an airforce/space fleet with massive capital ships, compared to Demot who still is pre-modernization.
Valanora
a.k.a Elves Security Forces
Quote Post

Posted: May 2 2013, 02:56 AM

Falcaaaaaaania! Falcaaaaaania! Just as crushy as planned. Nice work.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: May 2 2013, 09:17 AM
PMEmail Poster

Perhaps I should put a bit more men on active duty, increase that prowess ranking.
Naitpyge
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 2 2013, 02:39 PM
PMEmail Poster

link to download spreadsheet
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: May 3 2013, 12:52 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Andossa Se Mitrin Vega @ May 2 2013, 02:39 PM)
link to download spreadsheet

You'll need to give us permission to access it first.
Naitpyge
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 14 2013, 05:34 AM
PMEmail Poster

Nice work but now for the stupid question. What is the difference between total and active? Is total including reserve forces?
Blouman Empire
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 14 2013, 09:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

Yes. Total includes reserves
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 18 2013, 02:06 PM

There is one problem with this: people who don't givea flying -explicitive removed- about those percentages and RP it how they like.

"Above average", indeed. Hmpf I say!
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0226 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->