Start new topic
Voting Scam Exposed In South Osettia
Posted: Dec 28 2004, 11:15 AM
PMEmail Poster

National newspaper Polvestika has uncovered evidence proving that the first South Osettian general elections were fixed. An e-mail sent to President Edvard Saakashvili by one of his aides (unnamed for legal reasons) was said to contain 'remarks suggestive of underhanded behaviour in the recent SO elections'. A full enquiry is expected to begin shortly, with Saakashvili in danger of losing his post as leader of the country. Saakashvili has denied any involvement in the scam:

"I was voted into power freely and fairly. The people of this country picked me to lead them to a better future, and I will ensure that I fulfil my promise to these people."

Should the investigation prove that there was fixation, one of South Osettia's Law Lords will be asked to investigate further. The results of the public enquiry should be ready by 1200 GMT on Wednedsay 29th December.
South Osettia
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Dec 29 2004, 08:14 AM
PMEmail Poster

A public enquiry into the handling of the recent South Osettian elections has ruled that there was an element of fixation in the procedure. The report pointed at several 'unusual circumstances' which led them to believe the election was not a fair one. South Osettia's highest Law Lord, Lord Grusov, will now be employed to undertake a full enquiry into the matter, in an attempt to judge whether or not President Saakashvili was involved, and what action to take. The President has once again denied involvement in the matter.

"The enquiry may have ruled that something has happened in the election process, and it is not my place to deny that. It is my place, however, to deny any involvement in the matter, and I will stand by my earlier statement - I had nothing to do with it."

The result of Grusov's enquiry should be published in a report on 31st December.
South Osettia
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Dec 31 2004, 05:59 AM
PMEmail Poster

Lord Grusov's report on the fallacies of the recent South Osettian elections is set to be published officially later today, but national newspaper Polvestika has obtained information on its contents from an anonymous source. The report is set to confirm irregularities in the election process, but will also clear President Saakashvili of any wrongdoing. Grusov will decide that Saakashvili did not read the e-mail sent to him by one of his aides, detailing the methods employed in the recent elections to ensure Saakashvili won, and that the aide in question (confirmed yesterday as a Ms. Hilary Kilston) is entirely at fault, as the coordiantor of the offences. Ms. Kilston is yet to be questioned, but it has been suggested by Grusov that any other persons involved in the scam will be punished equally.

With regards to the election, Grusov has suggested that the results of the election be annulled, and that a re-run take place on January 2nd 2005. Saakashvili is set to make an official comment once the report has been published. Meanwhile the Government are beginning a public enquiry to find out who leaked the contents of the report to the Polvestika.
South Osettia
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 3 2005, 05:40 AM
PMEmail Poster

The re-run of the South Osettian general election took place yesterday, and whilst the votes are still being counted, and the official result will not be announced for a further 24 hours, exit polls suggest that Saakashvili has retained his post as Presiden of South Osettia. A sample of 1000 South Osettians suggested a 72.4% victory for Saakashvili, with his nearest competitor, Ludovic Trewing, receiving 22.5%. The Election Commisioner has recorded a 83.2% turnout in the election re-run, maintaining South Osettia's high turnout levels (it has never dropped below 80%), ensuring that the winner will receive a strong and legitimate mandate to govern.
South Osettia
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0171 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->