Do you:
Support? [ 3 ]  [60.00%]
Reject? [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
Abstain? [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
Total Votes: 5

Posted on Mar 3 2006, 01:10 PM
PMEmail Poster

Abortion Legality Convention

A resolution to restrict civil freedoms in the interest of moral decency.

Category: Moral Decency

Strength: Mild

Proposed by: Omigodtheykilledkenny2

Description: The United Nations,

REAFFIRMING Article 5 of The Universal Bill of Rights, that no one may be subjected to cruel or inhuman treatment,

RECOGNISING that both scientific and moral opinion remains, and is likely to remain, irreparably divided over the issue of at what stage human life begins,

ACKNOWLEDGING that there are many societies within the NSUN that would consider a fetus, and especially a developed fetus in the third trimester, to possess human characteristics and be deserving of special protection, whilst others would not,

REGRETTING that such divisions render global resolution over abortion unlikely,

SEEKING to establish a fair compromise:

1. DECLARES that states have the right to declare abortion legal or illegal, and to pass legislation extending or restricting the right to an abortion;

2. RECOMMENDS that in cases of rape, incest, severe fetal abnormality or where the continuation of the pregnancy poses severe medical risk to the mother, states permit abortion procedures;

3. URGES states to prevent the Intact Dilation and Extraction (IDX or 'partial birth') procedure;

4. CALLS FOR increased international research in fetal development, so as to develop greater understanding of the ramifications of abortion;

5. REMINDS states that in the absence of completely reliable contraception, there may always remain a demand for abortion, and that legalisation and regulation is more likely to provide sanitary abortion possibilities.

Authored by Gruenberg

Votes For: 838

Votes Against: 435

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Tue Mar 7 2006
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Mar 3 2006, 01:24 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I like the fact that this gives the individual nations a choice and isn't just the standard NSUN 'Rawr Crush' mentality that it seems to have in regard to national laws.

YES
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Mar 3 2006, 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Legalese @ Mar 3 2006, 07:10 PM)
1. DECLARES that states have the right to declare abortion legal or illegal, and to pass legislation extending or restricting the right to an abortion;

Wow. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let's make a resolution to allow states to pass or not pass laws regarding... everything. Brilliant. What a waste of time.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Mar 6 2006, 05:57 AM

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Mar 3 2006, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Legalese @ Mar 3 2006, 07:10 PM)

Wow. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let's make a resolution to allow states to pass or not pass laws regarding... everything. Brilliant. What a waste of time.

Hey, works for me. SUPPORT
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Mar 6 2006, 05:45 PM
PMEmail Poster

I can't really decide if this is a good or a bad thing. Star is correct, that this seems quite useless, as evidenced by someone who created an "Orange Hats Legality Convention" to prove that point, but it also provides an effective roadblock, which would help end discussion of abortion on the international level, putting it back at a national (or lower) level, where it probably should be.

Hence, I make no recommendation to the delegates on this vote, but will likely support it, if I have to break a tie. Voting will be closed in about 6 hours, and I will then cast the delegate vote on NS.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Mar 6 2006, 05:55 PM
PMEmail Poster

A resolution to...maintain the status quo.

BZZZT! WRONG ANSWER!
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsClosed TopicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0199 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->