Start new topic
List of Atlantian Oceanian Hub Cities
Posted: Feb 8 2006, 04:40 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

The Pacitalian Transeconomic Studies Agency, a non-governmental and politically neutral organisation, has come up with a list of hub cities in Atlantian Oceania, listed alphabetically but grouped into relevant categories of influence/importance.

Major hubs
The following cities are considered to be of enormous international importance because of their highly developed and focused transportation and economic systems, high levels of political and cultural activity and accessible location. Population does not necessarily influence the status of these cities.
Columbia, Bedistan
Commerce Heights, Commerce Heights
Phonecia, Fmjphoenix
Timiocato, Pacitalia
Jhanna, Starblaydia
Alikki-Corra, Vilita

Lesser hubs
The following cities are still hubs, but their influence stretches over a smaller outward radius and thus, they have lesser importance internationally. Like the major hubs, population does not necessarily influence the status of these cities.
Lavingrad, Abattoir
Sonoma City, Bedistan
Cana, Chicanada
Aeropag, Commerce Heights
Hypocrium, Hypocria
Archon City, Khazaron
Iudica, Legalese
Graham City, The Lowland Clans
Kafra, Nedalia
Nova Roma, Nova Roma
Marshalliston, Oliverry
Mandragora, Pacitalia
Woodstock, Sarzonia
Ayadi, Space Union
Tabeck, Starblaydia
New Babylonia, Xile

Cusp hubs
The following cities were considered for the second category but did not meet the minimum requirements or were too close to other hubs.
Mynia, Amarenthe
Gabalfa, Bettia
Mathdon, Falcania
Vancouver, Hockey Canada
Izistan City, Izistan
Nephi, Lamoni
Paolozzi City, Lesser Ribena
Rozier, Nojika
New Brux, Spruitland

This post has been edited by Pacitalia on Feb 8 2006, 04:44 PM
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Feb 9 2006, 12:32 AM
PMEmail Poster

In his morning newspapers and briefings, Francopolitan Mayor Rex Gabon did a double-take when he noticed the city had not made the list of "hubs" presented by the PTSA. "How could Francopolis not be on there, when the capital made it?" He wondered aloud.

A staffer overheard him and interjected, "Well, maybe the PTSA doesn't know Legalese that well? I mean, we haven't been that noisy over the past few years, short of declaring official neutrality."

Gabon thought for a second. "That's a very good point. What are you working on right now?"

The staffer replied, "Well, I'm doing a traffic study, at Councilman Winth-"

The mayor stopped the staffer at that point. "You aren't any more. Draft a letter to the PTSA on why Francopolis should be on the list, and have it to me as soon as possible."

The staffer did such, and after a few drafts, the following was sent out.

To whom it may concern:

This is in response to the list formulated recently by your agency, the PTSA, regarding "hub" cities in Atlantian Oceania.  While we agree with your assessment that the capital of the Legal Federation, Iudica, is worthy of a place on your list, we must question the lack of Francopolis on it.  Our city is the most populous in Legalese, and the most known to the outside world.  It's independence has rarely been questioned, even in the face of Starblaydi occupation, and was for a few years, the de facto Legalese government.  Sitting on the edge of the Nemyan Strait, nearing the merger with the Crystilakerean Channel, we are a port deserving of the title "Gateway to the North."  Many non-governmental organizations call Francopolis home, including the Legalese National Soccer Team, which has played nearly their entire home history at Legalese National Stadium in Francopolis.

With that, we humbly submit our petition for consideration as a Lesser hub, and invite the PTSA to see it for themselves, as my personal guests.

Yours,

Rex Gabon
Mayor
Francopolis, Legalese
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Feb 9 2006, 11:54 PM
PMEmail Poster

Canal4 closed their news day with a rather flustered woman appearing to the press and the rather obvious statement "It's because we're new. That is all"

Presidum Jeradine Lyiali was tired of hearing all the news reports concering "hub cities." Transportation and economics, while nice, always tended to set the city cantons against each other, especially as Southampton, Kinsington and Jaxx had increased their development over the capital. True, the sparking coastal city was the only major metropolis to be declared a green zone (with Douala and Jaxx reliqishing their claims last year) and the sub system and train lines were top notch, but the capital wasn't as competitive on the state's economics as Southampton or as influential as Jaxx, home to all the major political parties. And with Kinsington's location and recent decision by the Assemblies to use the northern canton as home to AO embassies, it seems the capital had fallen down the chain of influence.

At least until Canal4 reported the findings of the Pacitalian Transeconomic Studies Agency. Never being used to such studies in The Exodus (since they were more concerned with Peace Festivals and bickering, never exciting the Chicanadan delegations in the least), news of some list on influential cities excited the nation. But seeing Cana make the list over Southampton or Eastentown (sure, the Supreme Council was all the plains city canton had, but they pulled more strings thatn Lyiali could consider) meant the new Presidum would be in for a long day of bickering from Canton Mayors, regional leaders and her own party membership.

The Union-Liberals quickly claimed victory, as the moderates were centered in the Capital and hoped to use it to push the city back over it's more liberal neighbors to the south, commies to the north and the more religious parties in the heartland. Jaxx's leadership, however, was first to strike against the government and the apparent favortism by the "non-partisan" organisation. causing disruptions as the Film Capital readies to begin calls for their International Film Festival and Chicanadan Cinematic Awards. Kinsington's newly appointed Embassy Row Presidum spoke out against Cana's influence in front of New Governess Palace before the AOCAF matches started, stating that the northern city would always have more pull as it was closer to therir new home region and would easily become the central port of call. Stocks fell as inverstors worried over possible developments would be pulled from the poorer Northern Coast and shifted back to Cana and the isles. Southampton's CA representatives walked out of talks over a funding bill to increase light-rail transport between their city, Cana and the recently formed Carthage Cantonship as they felt snubbed by the "aristocratic" nature of their more-posh neighbors to the north and expressed concern that they would loose any say over transportation issues over "such presumptious calls of superiority."

All this came up before. When Cana was named the capital in 1820, the old guard cities like Douala and Goedi turned their noses up and refused to send their CA members there, forcing the government to use Eastentown as a neutral site. Now, old fears of snobbery return to a nation always suspicious of what the 23-million strong Capital (which had been passed recently as the largest city by Douala) had planned. And the press - especially the tabloids like ChicanadaSun and Channel 2's "Polywogs" ate it up throughout the day.

It had been one long day for the Presidum, and she tried to hush it all up with "we're new." She knew it wouldn't last, and when she finally fell asleep, she already saw twelve new meetings with Cantonal leaders hoping to increase their say and power over the Capital. All in a day's work?

This post has been edited by Chicanada on Feb 9 2006, 11:56 PM
Chicanada
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 10 2006, 12:28 AM

OOC: Legal, I can do an IC response if you'd prefer, but I will tell you that it was because distance became a factor. Your proximity to Starblaydia left you with the ability to have only one hub city, so I had to make a choice.
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Feb 10 2006, 11:32 AM

Falcon tore the newspaper apart with his claws and settled back in a huff. Mathdon, formerly the biggest port town in the entire region, had merely scraped a cusp hub ranking. Well, that just wasn't good enough. The gloves were off. Shortly, so would be the Green Belt. It was definitely OK on the commerce front. Mathdon was also full of 800 years of culture. His seat of office was here? What was the problem?

Ah.

The non-existent public transport system.

Well, that's going to change.

You mark my words.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 11 2006, 09:37 PM

Patriarch Khara gazed out from the large window just behind his desk in his office at the palace. His arms were crossed behind him and his eyes closed as he soaked in the sun rays that pierced the room. He stode motionless for several minutes before he was disturbed by the sound of a throat clearing behind him. Opening his eyes and shaking the cobwebs from his head, he turned around to see the forms of three of his ministers sitting on the opposite side of his desk. Smiling, he toke his seat.

"My apologies." he said as he folded his hand and gave his full attention to the three members of his cabinet. "The weather has been so good lately, I didn't want to misuse any of it, but matters of state must take precendence. So, what do you have for me." He looked at each of them individually, waiting for any of them to speak up.

"There's been a slight rise in crime recently highness. We may want to look into increasing the police budget or instituting some new training protocols." spoke Laurence Amar, Minister of Internal Affairs.

Khara nodded at him. "I see. Has the Assembly anything to say on this?"

"Not yet." replied Amar. "Although I wouldn't be suprised if it's one of the first things brought up when they go back in session on Monday."

"Very well. Keep me posted on the situation and I'll contact Minister Arani to see if there's anything the military can do to help smooth things over until we can get a more permanent solution in place."

"As you wish highness." Amar said as he jotted down a note to himself on a small yellow pad.

"What about you two?" Khara said, turning his attention to Danielle Uram, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Adama Kum, Minister of Commerce.

The two looked at each other before Kum spoke up. "Well highness, the economy has continued to improve itself and we expect the domin to equal the dollar in value within the next couple of years at the lattest. We attribute this to the economic alliances we have engaged in with the Lamoni and Nedalia, as well as the growing position of our major port cities."

"Most excellent news indeed." Khara said with an obvious pleased tone in his voice. "What about you Danielle?" he said, focusing his attention on the only female in the room.

"Well highness, we've got some good news coming out of Pacitalia. Apparently Archon City has made it on their list of one of the lesser economic hubs in the region. It seems we've begun to make quite a presence for ourselves." Danielle said, beaming a smile at the Patriarch and the other ministers.

Khara leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, his pleased expression now going from ear to ear.

"That is more than just good news. I've been hoping for something like that ever since the end of the Six Month War. This, ladies and gentlemen, just goes to show that our efforts to bring our nation the place it deserves are starting to bear some fruit. We keep this up and we may find the Dominion as one of the true powerhouses of this region one day."
Khazaron
The Red Devil
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Feb 11 2006, 11:46 PM
PMEmail Poster

OOC: What about Χρυσάεστος (Khrusáestos)? It used to be the national capital of a “great” nation, and its influence stretches across an entire slani planet. tongue.gif
Commerce Heights
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Commerce Heights @ Feb 11 2006, 08:46 PM)
OOC: What about Χρυσάεστος (Khrusáestos)? It used to be the national capital of a “great” nation, and its influence stretches across an entire slani planet. tongue.gif

No. wink.gif
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 12:45 AM
PMEmail Poster

Eli Gohel opened up the morning newspaper. He did this every day and was looking for any news that would help his cause to get the Limad party reelected.

He looked thru the local news and saw nothing that would help the Limad's cause, then he turned to the international section. There was a list of the great hub cities in the region and he didn't see a single Milchamian city on the list. "This is not good," Gohel thought as he laid down the paper. The Commies and Tashmovitz can use this against me.

Tim Gonnenberg also sat down that morning and looked at the morning newspaper. He always liked to check the international news espiecially the stuff within the region. He looked at the Regional Report and saw something very encouraging, Milchama did not have a major hub city according to a Pacitalian independent orginazation. Gonnenberg immediately went down the streets and proclaimed the injustice

"The Limad Party has not done its job. According to the Pacitialian Transeconomic Studies Agency, Milchama does not have ONE major hub city. Not Alexandria, our glorious capital, not Port James, the grand port city and not even Swooton, where more planes fly in and out of every day than I can even imagine. This shows the incompetence of the Limad Party and of the poor leadership of former Prime Minister Liam Horowitz!"

Eli Gohel was not happy when he read the next day's paper.

Eli Gohel would like to know (OOC: ICly) why no Milchamian cities were on this list and whether this was a mistake (which it most certainly is) or some horrible job done by the PTSA.
Milchama
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 10:41 AM
PMEmail Poster

[OOC: No Everton City? The centre of AO's sport? For shame.]
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 11:11 AM
PMEmail Poster

Woodstock is a Lesser Hub? The city with the SDL Headquarters a Lesser Hub!?! Xile and Abbatoir are not worthy of Major Hubs!?!?!?!

*faints*

This post has been edited by Nedalia on Feb 12 2006, 11:12 AM
Nedalia
Emperor in Training
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 11:35 AM
PMEmail Poster

Prsidente Viastormin Vega sat behind the large desk in his office of the presidential Palace casually glancing over econimic reports that he had been neglecting for some time. He truly hated this part of his job.

Quickly the door opened and in came Lucia Andryonii, the new Press Secretary of ASMV. She seemed to be quite agitated.

"Sir!" she exclaimed. "The PTSA has just released a report of what it feel to be the hub cities of the AO region. It has been broken down into categories denoting importance." She crossed her arms and awaited a response.

Storm looked up from his reports. Clearly Lucia had something more to say - and chances were it would not be pleasant to hear. "And where does Errion Vega fall on that list?" Storm decided to keep his question a short one.

"We didnt even make the damned listing!" was all that she could muster.

Storm leaned his chair back and thought for a moment. "Does it really matter? I can't really say that I care what the PTSA thinks."
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 03:25 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Pacitalia @ Feb 12 2006, 12:12 AM)
No. wink.gif

Well, don’t blame me when the Δημοκρατία του Ακήλα (Demokratía tou Akéla) is reborn and comes to attack southeastern AO… tongue.gif
Commerce Heights
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Commerce Heights @ Feb 12 2006, 09:25 PM)
No. wink.gif

Well, don’t blame me when the Δημοκρατία του Ακήλα (Demokratía tou Akéla) is reborn and comes to attack southeastern AO… tongue.gif

Good luck with that. I'm investing in a shiny new airforce smile.gif
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 12 2006, 08:18 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Falcania @ Feb 12 2006, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (Commerce Heights @ Feb 12 2006, 09:25 PM)
No. wink.gif

Good luck with that. I'm investing in a shiny new airforce smile.gif

Big. Shiny. Spaceships.

Your airforce would get laughed at tongue.gif
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0459 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->