Start new topic
AOCAF 35 Interest/Signup Thread
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 05:04 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I'm in, as always, but I thought we had agreed after 34 had ended to delay the next Cup for a bit to make sure there was more interest/more participation?
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Apr 30 2012, 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Pacitalia @ Apr 30 2012, 06:04 PM)
I'm in, as always, but I thought we had agreed after 34 had ended to delay the next Cup for a bit to make sure there was more interest/more participation?

Yea, thats why i hadn't started a thread sooner. But when i started getting requests to open it up, I took that to mean interest, and thereby participation, might be there after all. 15 signups so far
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Apr 30 2012, 11:58 PM

QUOTE (Vilita @ Apr 30 2012, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (Pacitalia @ Apr 30 2012, 06:04 PM)

Yea, thats why i hadn't started a thread sooner. But when i started getting requests to open it up, I took that to mean interest, and thereby participation, might be there after all. 15 signups so far

There will always be signups. wink.gif

By interest/participation I meant people actually had enough of a break that we have more than three-four players consistently posting something past the initial roster, something we haven't had for a while because there's usually only 1-2 months layover between Cups.

This post has been edited by Pacitalia on Apr 30 2012, 11:58 PM
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 1 2012, 11:08 AM
PMEmail Poster

user posted image

Scorination: Will be using the SQIS formula (not with xkoranate though, I'll be using the original version it was first scoranated on).

Format: Group Stage (round-robin), followed by knockout phase. The knockout phase will depend on numbers of signups, with the 16-24 signups, the group stage will go into the quarter-finals, with over 24 the group stage will go into the round of 16.

Venues: Stadia will be announced in the RP thread.

Referees: There will be a call for nations to submit a team of 1-3 referees that will be assigned matches in the group phase, and then from that pool referees will be chosen for the knockout phase matches.

Sign-ups: Since Pacitalia brought up the issue, I would be quite happy to delay the end of sign-ups for a week to allow as many participants as possible.

This post has been edited by The Islands of Qutar on May 1 2012, 11:37 AM
The Islands of Qutar
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 1 2012, 11:40 AM
PMEmail Poster

RP Bonus: Will be a degrading bonus, with the last two RPs contributing to the bonus, combined with a separate non-degrading bonus for the roster.

EDIT: Also might it be best to move the Signup thread to the Nationstates forums to give as many people a chance to sign up, I'm guessing not everyone in AO has an account here?

This post has been edited by The Islands of Qutar on May 1 2012, 12:02 PM
The Islands of Qutar
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 1 2012, 08:13 PM

QUOTE (The Islands of Qutar @ May 1 2012, 12:40 PM)
RP Bonus: Will be a degrading bonus, with the last two RPs contributing to the bonus, combined with a separate non-degrading bonus for the roster.

EDIT: Also might it be best to move the Signup thread to the Nationstates forums to give as many people a chance to sign up, I'm guessing not everyone in AO has an account here?

If they don't, then they are either a random puppet, or just inactive. You can't get on the map without an account here. Are you thinking of someone in particular who doesn't have an account?
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: May 1 2012, 08:47 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Vilita @ May 2 2012, 02:13 AM)
Are you thinking of someone in particular who doesn't have an account?

No was just guessing
The Islands of Qutar
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 1 2012, 10:43 PM
PMEmail Poster

We'll return, aye.
Valanora
a.k.a Elves Security Forces
Quote Post

Posted: May 1 2012, 11:13 PM

Your bid leaves some questions:

user posted image

Scorination: Will be using the SQIS formula (not with xkoranate though, I'll be using the original version it was first scoranated on).

What benefit do you see in this?

Format: Group Stage (round-robin), followed by knockout phase. The knockout phase will depend on numbers of signups, with the 16-24 signups, the group stage will go into the quarter-finals, with over 24 the group stage will go into the round of 16.

How many round robin matches? Home and away or single-legs at a neutral venue (your nation)

Where will these Venues be? Neither Carpathia and Ruthenia or The Islands of Qutar is located on the AO Map, nor has a pending map claim to be added to the AO Map. One could question allowing a nation that has not competed in the previous AOCAF, nor has any land in AO currently, to be an IC host venue to its most prestigious competition. Also, your C&R Host bid appears to have been posted by your puppet, Qutar, adding to the confusion

Sign-ups: Since Pacitalia brought up the issue, I would be quite happy to delay the end of sign-ups for a week to allow as many participants as possible.

I doubt you will get many additional signups by waiting an additional week, this is not an open signup tournament, those nations that wish to join will join, and those that won't are either not currently interested, or inactive.

So in this, could a nation say, RP twice before the Cup Begins, then, not RP again the rest of the cup, and maintain their High-Bonus? Is it truly the last two RPs, or simply RPs from the previous two matchdays? Either way, I'm not sure of the benefit to either system. Capping RP bonus isn't a horrible idea, but its not clear how you are planning to do it here.
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: May 2 2012, 08:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

What benefit do you see in this?

The benefit I see from this is that as far as I can tell from the source of xkoranate, that it doesn't score extra time and penalties in the same way as the original version, and as the Q in SQIS I'd prefer to use the formula as originally intended.

How many round robin matches? Home and away or single-legs at a neutral venue (your nation)

I thought round-robin meant each team plays each other only once. So that is what I mean single-legs at at neutral venue in Carpathia and Ruthenia

Where will these Venues be? Neither Carpathia and Ruthenia or The Islands of Qutar is located on the AO Map, nor has a pending map claim to be added to the AO Map. One could question allowing a nation that has not competed in the previous AOCAF, nor has any land in AO currently, to be an IC host venue to its most prestigious competition. Also, your C&R Host bid appears to have been posted by your puppet, Qutar, adding to the confusion

These venues will be Stadia in Carpathia and Ruthenia, I'm quite happy to make a map claim if that would somehow help people's RPs, although I'm not quite sure how having the venues shown on a map in necessary for an RP.

Also my puppet doesn't have an account here, so I posted using my Qutar account although I think it's clear to everyone that Carpathia and Ruthenia are the IC bid nation. Also to be fair the AO forums are not exactly active and since we've been having the AOCAF RP threads on the Nationstates forums I was planning on doing the same, in which case the confusion would not happen. If however it is vital that we do it on the AO Forums can you make me a C&R account

I doubt you will get many additional signups by waiting an additional week, this is not an open signup tournament, those nations that wish to join will join, and those that won't are either not currently interested, or inactive.

Well we certainly wouldn't lose any signups by waiting.

So in this, could a nation say, RP twice before the Cup Begins, then, not RP again the rest of the cup, and maintain their High-Bonus? Is it truly the last two RPs, or simply RPs from the previous two matchdays? Either way, I'm not sure of the benefit to either system. Capping RP bonus isn't a horrible idea, but its not clear how you are planning to do it here.

Sorry should have made this more clear, by last two RPs I meant on the last two matchdays.

I'll explain more now, there will be a max RP Bonus of X KPB, and in your example if someone did a perfect RP at the beginning and never RPed again they'd have X KPB points in their bonus on MD1. Then the next matchday they'd have X/2 KPB points, then following matchday they'd have X/4 KPB points, then on MD4 they would have no bonus.
The Islands of Qutar
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 2 2012, 05:23 PM
PMEmail Poster

Question for C&R: It's been a long time since I've seen the actual SQIS formula. Any chance you could post it here, please?
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: May 2 2012, 07:09 PM
PMEmail Poster

West Guiana AOCAF 35

Scorination: I'll use xkoranate, NSFS 3.0 formula which is the most commonly used in minor to major football/soccer competitions.

Format Right now we have 20 sign-ups (18 official), now the formats would be from 18 upwards to 28.

18 If 18 officially i'd pair them up into 3 groups of six, which would play a single round robin with the top two in each group advancing along with two wild cards.
20 Five groups of four double round robin, top two of each group advancing. With the four lowest seeds playing a special playoff bracket to see which two gets a place in the quarter-finals.
---------
Four groups of five, single round robin top two of each group advance on to qrt finals.
24 Six groups of four, single round robin, top two of each group plus four wild cards advance to round of 16.
--------------
Four groups of six, single round robin, top two of each group advance to qrt-finals.
28 (unlikely) four groups of seven, with the top four of each group advancing to the round of 16.

Venues Detailed out in the official AOCAF 35 thread.

RP Bonus Rp bonus will be degraded, .2 pts for each match day some one doesn't rp. If some one never rped at all through out the whole competition, their bonus would obviously be 0. If it's not a match day and you don't rp, no pts would be degraded.

RP Bonuses:

0 - No rp
.25 - .5 - Poor
.5 - .75 - Good
.75 - 1.25 - Excellent

I judge quality over quantity.
========================

Eh, I though some competition would be good, one bid makes the Q&A process boring. Need to fire it up!

biggrin.gif

Q: Did you think this bid out before posting.

A: Not really just how to organize the groups and knock-off stage.

This post has been edited by West Guiana on May 2 2012, 07:13 PM
West Guiana
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 2 2012, 09:10 PM

Considering putting in a bid to host - I will make a decision in the next couple of days. It all depends on time; additionally, I will be out of town from May 21-26 so a Pacitalian-hosted tournament would not begin until after the latter date (or, alternately, the tournament would have a hiatus in the middle depending on when it starts).

This post has been edited by Pacitalia on May 2 2012, 09:11 PM
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 3 2012, 08:14 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Legalese @ May 2 2012, 11:23 PM)
Question for C&R: It's been a long time since I've seen the actual SQIS formula.  Any chance you could post it here, please?

Sure thing

R = 0.9 +/- (0.07 - ((Smaller KPB/Larger KPB) * 0.07))

(Plus for the lower ranked team, and minus for the higher ranked team)

If one team is playing at home their value is modified

R(home) = R-(1-R)/3

And finally styles are taken into account

R = R-((team1style+team2style)/(maximumstyle*2.5))*(1-R)

(maximumstyle is as it suggests the maxmin style possible, so where style mods are between -5 and +5, the maximumstyle value would be 5)

Phew!

Now onto the scoring, each team gets 12 attacks in regular time. So for each attack a random number is generated and if it is greater than the R value for the team, a goal is scored!

In the case of extra time each team gets 4 extra attacks to score in.

And then in penalties each team's R value is divided by 4 (since penalties are more often scored than missed), then penalties happen! (This definately doesn't happen in xkoranate which leads to it being more likely to produce weird penalty results, hence me wanting to use Schia and my original scoranator)

Hosting Experience: I've hosted World Cup 30, Cup of Harmony 24 and 29 (Since I forgot to put this in my original post and now can't edit it in)
The Islands of Qutar
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 3 2012, 08:50 AM
PMEmail Poster

The Bear Islands sign up...

but Armed Beers doesn't/dont, this time around.
The Bear Islands
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0188 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->