Start new topic
Nation Name Origin
Posted: May 7 2004, 07:06 PM
PMEmail Poster

As For Mine, Well I'll explain Diamindokere, my puppet. I saw the puppet thread, so i said hey I'll make one. Then I said Well I'm a Crystil, my puppet can be a Diamind. (Yea I know they are all spelled wrong, thats intentional smile.gif )
Crystilakere
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 8 2004, 07:10 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

I like Japan and everything connected to it - including giving Japanese names. I wanted to name mine Tanaka -sounds quite Japanese-, but that name was reserved (don't know why actually..). SO I started looking for another name. I had a drawing in my gallery named Nook-Taar. Naming my nation Nook sounded silly but Taar was quite good. I just added an u at the end (Japanese language is generated with syllables and letter R does not exist as an independent letter, but RU does) a and my nation was born - Taaru.
Taaru
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 8 2004, 09:05 AM
PMEmail Poster

Novus being the Latin word for New.

And Atlantica being the (Stargate SG-1) Latin word for Atlantis.

Put together makes: Novus Atlantica meaning: New Atlantis

I first got the idea from watching the season 7 finale of Stargate SG-1 when O'Neill said "Terra Atlantica", I tried to get that name but it was reserved. Then I tried Antiquus Atlantica (Ancient Atlantis) but I grew tired of that name and then I switched to Novus Atlantica. Much better in my opinion.

Nova Roma
Fortified Caesar
Quote Post

Posted: May 8 2004, 09:20 AM
PMEmail Poster

wow-thats all very impressive. Samonina just came from the name of my budgie. Paddyton, the capital city, is named after my other budgie..........not quite so deep and meaningful.
Samonina
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 8 2004, 10:51 AM

I had just watched an episode of the Simpsons when I decided to join NationStates. After trying and deciding against at least 50 different names, I decided to have something with -lia on the end, because I like those. For some reason Ned Flanders came up into my head, I added -lia to make Nedlia. I quite liked the sound of it, so I used it.

One note: Nedlia is in no way related to Ned Flanders.
Nedlia
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: May 8 2004, 03:23 PM
PMEmail Poster

Well I was rocking back and forth on my chair of an hour thinking of different names, I could think of anything meaningful I liked so I did what I always do and look round my room for a name or brand I can fiddle wit to make a name that sounds nice.
We I have been a fan of Star Trek, and in the Klingon Translation of Shakespeare?s Hamlet sitting on my shelf?s above me To be or not to be translates into "taH pagh taHbe!". Being in a rather desperate frame of mind I just took the "to be" bit, fiddles it and stuck it as my name. Like Nedlias it has no relation to Klingon, Star trek or anything. If you notice most of my territories names come from my book shelf. Orwell, off 1984, Nelson, off surprise surprise a book about nelson, Barry, of guess what. Aland was out of the blue though, just thought it sounded differen't.
My puppets, Villiges i based around "The Village" from TV series "The Prisoner"and Perfectan I was originally basing round Libria from Equilibrium and wanted to emphasize that it was 'perfect'. East gate and Frontire isles were just location related names based upon random thoughts in my head.
Tachbe
Emperor
Quote Post

Posted: May 12 2004, 01:16 PM

I always used to create players and such in sports games way back when, notably NHL games by EA Sports, then they carried into NASCAR racing games by Papyrus, same names used in each, anyway long story short, Vilita was one of the Last Names i used for a player, and I just liked the flow of it, don't recall if it was just a flow from the head, which i think it was, or if there were any influences, but the Vilita legacy is one that always comes around first when it comes to new games, and NationStates was no different. My puppet, Turori, is a similar situation, but a more modern invent, not as much history behind it smile.gif
Vilita
Founder
Quote Post

ICQAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: May 12 2004, 03:19 PM
PMEmail Poster

I read a book by Francesca Lia Block titled "Ecstacia" and in the book the characters lived in a city called Elysia. I originally wanted to name my Republic Elysia but it was already taken so I named my Republic after the book titled instead.
Ectascia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 12 2004, 06:33 PM
PMEmail Poster

my roomate at school and i were mixing 2 animals together for imaginary battles (very bored and tired) when i decided to mix a salamander and a tick.... just happened to be surfing and found natinostates at same time.... poof! salmantic
Salmantic
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: May 14 2004, 01:29 PM
PMEmail Poster

Nemya was the name of girl who died in Iraq several years ago because of fluid build up, somewhere, or something. She was about 4 or 5. There was a story about in the seattle post a long while back. The article also said that a 50 cent tube could have saved the girls life but was impossilbe to obtain under sancstion. It was a whole dramatic lead up to statements about the treatment on the Iraq people by Saddam, the U.S. and the UN. The name just kinda stuck with me for such a long time. I guess a made up nation isn't the best thing to to attach her to.
A bit of a downer.
Nemya
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 15 2004, 12:32 PM
PMEmail Poster

It was a name of a D&D map I made for my friend (I don't play D&D), but it was spelled Ostia, a name that was already used, so I took Ostya... tongue.gif
Ostya
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: May 18 2004, 12:30 PM
PMEmail Poster

One of my fav authors is Brust. Athyra was one of the regions/houses in his Taltos series – I threw in a couple of "e's" and voila Aethyrea was born!

B~
Aethyrea
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: May 20 2004, 01:52 AM
PMEmail Poster

Vrydom is really a dutch and english word glued together: Vrijheid (dutch for freedom) and freedom; Because english doesn't no the letter combinaton 'ij' I used the 'y' instead.
The name 'vrydom' stands for freedom.
Vrydom
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: May 20 2004, 03:39 AM
PMEmail Poster

wow. thats nice, vrydom. Man that was so funny! :D everyone seemed to spend a lot more time thinking than me.
Samonina
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: May 26 2004, 09:52 PM
PMEmail Poster

Heh, oddly enough Abattoir can be described as and mean "a slaughterhouse". Figured it fit my personality good enough, since the nation was my fist to be made.
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic
Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

[ Script Execution time: 0.0233 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->