Start new topic
Nation Name Origin
Posted: Aug 9 2004, 06:08 PM
PMEmail Poster

I found out about NS from my little brother. He had made his own flag (vey poorly), and I told him I didn't understand it. He said it was supposed to be a satire of another person's flag, which had a black bird on it. I then began inventing my own flag even before I had a nation, building it around the central theme of a falcon. I decided that I'd use the Latin word for falcon to form my country's name. I looked in my Latin-to-English dictionary (which I use to make up lots of fictional names), and found there was no word listed for "falcon". However, the word for "eagle" was aquila. As that was already taken, I simply added a suffix (-nia) and spelled the name wrong on the form. sleep.gif

This post has been edited by Aquiliana on Aug 9 2004, 06:08 PM
Aquiliana
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Aug 21 2004, 03:27 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Basically the first derivation of 'New Britain' I could think of that wasn't taken.
Nova Britannicus
The Self-Preservation Society
Quote Post

Posted: Aug 21 2004, 11:07 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Nova Britannicus @ Aug 21 2004, 04:27 PM)
Basically the first derivation of 'New Britain' I could think of that wasn't taken.

Possibly because it is grammatically incorrect. wink.gif
Aquiliana
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Aug 26 2004, 12:22 PM
PMEmail Poster

Psytroxia was the nation of a friend of mine before, who named it after his username on his Linux box and added an -ia to make it sound more like a nation name.
Psytroxia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Nov 22 2004, 05:39 AM
PMEmail Poster

Mine is rather simple, actually. I personally am a pre-law student, so when starting NS, the concept of a lawyer-filled country came to mind. Hence, the term Legalese, or "Lawyer-speak"
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Dec 2 2004, 03:35 PM
PMEmail Poster

Well, Maserrat was a spin-off of the real-life country Montserrat, and as the Mont sounded like the French for 'me', I just used the other form of me, 'Ma', instead.

Anyway, that's history. South Ossetia is a real-life region in Georgia, but that was already taken, so I had to settle for South Osettia instead. I contemplated Abkhazia, but thought that was a little boring.
South Osettia
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Dec 6 2004, 03:03 PM

Well, there is nothing to special about my nations name. It first part, FMJ is from my clan in the game half-life, which stands for full metal jacket. The PHOENIX is my handle I have been using since around 1998 online. Put them together and you get fmjphoenix!
Fmjphoenix
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Jan 21 2005, 12:27 PM

Falcania? I dunno, I just like falcons.
Falcania
Winging It Since 2004
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 29 2005, 08:42 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Falcania @ Jan 21 2005, 06:27 PM)
Falcania? I dunno, I just like falcons.

Fried, apparently.

Anyhoo, puppet nation NOVA MERCIA's name: Nova=new, Mercia=an ancient Saxon region in England, the modern-day Midlands.
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: May 17 2005, 05:02 AM

Rumour has it that Bettia was named after the president's wife...
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: May 18 2005, 07:06 AM
PMEmail Poster

Alright, might as well start doing these as well. smile.gif

Spruitland. (non-Spruitlanders often pronounce it Sprew-it-land, correct local pronounciation is actually something like Sproyt-land)

A spruit is Dutch for a Brussels Sprout.

How I ended up making that my nation name... hmm, kinda random train of thought thing.

I'm pretty much new to roleplaying, and when I stumbled upon NS, I didn't really see myself become a "serious" RPer, doing wars and such. Who knows, maybe one day.
But to start, I wanted to come up with a simple premise to do some light-hearted/satire/comedy type stuff, basically as a bit of freeform practice for my RL writing. (hadn't noticed the sports RPs yet then)
Being from Belgium, I used a few stereotypical Belgian elements - we're supposed to be good at diplomacy, so I turned that around and made my nation somewhat lacking at diplomatic skills (while still believing they're great at it).
And of course I needed a wacky King as well, so I quickly came up with a silly backstory about how he left Belgium because he hated Brussels Sprouts, and 5 million people followed him because he managed to cross-breed Sprouts with marijuana, making them quite yummy.
But Sproutland was taken, so I made it Spruitland instead.
Spruitland
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 20 2005, 09:29 AM
PMEmail Poster

Pretty Straightforward, Hockey- meaning the game that the nation we seceeded from played, and Canada- the nation we sedeeded from.
Hockey Canada
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: Jul 25 2005, 02:47 PM
PMEmail Poster

RP'ly, Oliverry was the name of the first colony in the region of the nation. This colony's name has changed to Marshalliston in the mid-1400 when Oliverry became independant from his colonizators. But for real, it only comes from my first name
Septentrionia
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Aug 18 2005, 02:02 AM
PMEmail Poster

Wanted a name similar to Justice.
Jastica
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

ICQYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 26 2005, 12:35 AM
PMEmail Poster

The first settlers of my nation followed a brilliant star to a place they called Andossa Se Mitrin Vega - City of the Mother Star.

ooc- the language is an elvish derivative that I created while playing dungeons & dragons.
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic
Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0155 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->