Start new topic
Nation Name Origin
Posted: Feb 2 2013, 03:24 AM
PMEmail Poster

I picked Wight because that is the name of the island I looked out at from my home in Portsmouth UK and, now living far from the sea, I was a bit homesick. So I have a nation called Portsea & Spice Islands which is a direct reference to my home city, plus Wight. These were two unused puppets to my old nation Tamarindia.

The dual meaning of Wight, an old english word for 'person', now with overtones of 'dead person', suited the theme I wanted to write for WC-58. To be honest I had planned to make it a one-tournament nation and then do something else, but it has become something of an obsessive paracosm.
Wight
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 3 2013, 06:54 AM
PMEmail Poster

Oh cool - I'm from Romsey, so know where you refer to (my mum grew up there, and they used to go down to the chalk pit and throw snakes at eachother o.o )

Secundus Kasius was so named because IC it's the second reiteration of a nation (the old one got 'unified' by the Haxtes family), and Kasius was the surname of a roleplaying character I used to play and didn't get the ending she deserved, so she's immortalised here instead now =)
Secundus Kasius
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Feb 4 2013, 06:01 PM
PMEmail Poster

We're goats.
Ibex
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: May 12 2013, 06:56 AM
PMEmail Poster

In-universe, Lzherusskia translates both as "river people" and "people of the Lzher". Nice and simple.

Out of universe, "Lzherusskie" was once the name of a page on TV Tropes that has since been changed to "Fake Russian" and is devoted to that - Russian or Soviet characters in fiction who are played by people not of the appropriate nationality. Think Sean Connery in the Hunt for Red October and you're on the right lines. I just happened to rather like it as the name for a nation.
Lzherusskia
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Aug 6 2013, 02:42 AM
PMEmail Poster

I derived my nation name from the Phrase "Perlas ng Silanganan" (lit. Pearl of the Orient), which is the second line of our OOC national anthem.
Perlasilangan
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 3 2013, 09:43 PM
PMEmail Poster

Norwesternesse came about while reading The Silmarillion while watching an episode of Deadliest Catch.
Norwesternesse
One Post Wonder
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 20 2013, 09:43 AM
PMEmail Poster

I originally wanted the name to be Previa, because in sounded very old and Latin, but a typo turned it to a very Scandinavian Preiva.
Preiva
14 Posts! Magic!
Quote Post

Posted: Aug 31 2017, 04:55 AM
PMEmail Poster

Tropicorp is a quasi-governmental corporation created to conduct Research, Development and Production activities primarily on behalf of the Tropics of Vilita. The name "Tropicorp" originated from the formal "Corporation of the Tropics" or "Tropics Corporation" shortened and combined into the singular "Tropicorp"

The creation of Tropicorp itself was a reaction to growing public distrust in large corporations, media and advanced research on Vilitan soil particularly in the wake of the fallout from the Sorthern Northland nuclear event. As such, the Vilitan government identified the opportunity to utilize a region of long-lost Vilitan lands on Calania to re-locate and resume the industrial activities that no longer seemed welcome on the Vilitan mainland.

Upon initially standing up the corporation, its employees would be ferried to the Tropicorp site from the nearby Vilitan island of Turoki. However, as Tropicorp grew and its need for round-the-clock and full time staffing increased, many employees expressed a desire not only to have places to go out and eat other than the company cafeteria, but even to live closer to Tropicorp facilities, on the Calanian mainland, not having catch the ferry from Mavaloiao.

As such, Tropicoast was born. Naturally, with their choice of setting up shop, the new residents of Tropicorp chose a location on the coast at the ideal location - the ferry depot, and built their town around it.

This post has been edited by Tropicorp on Aug 31 2017, 04:55 AM
Tropicorp
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic
Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5] 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0216 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->