Start new topic
The Nemyan Situation
Posted: Aug 10 2004, 05:11 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

At the border between The Protectorate of Starblaydia and what used to be The Holy Empire of Nemya, the Starblaydi border gaurd stepped out of his hut-come-customs office and looked over the border and down the hill into Nemya. There was a long line of cars, wagons and people, all waiting for him and his team to start processing them as they entered the nation. These people weren't here for a holiday, despite the number of caravans parked up in neat rows on the other side. These people were migrating into Starblaydia, more every day, looking ever more disshevelled with each cycle of the moon.

"Well Lucien," he said, looking through his sunglasses at his junior officer, "they're all in the 'here-to-stay' lane, so lets start processing 'em, one at a time."

"Yes Sir."

Lucien went over to the gate and lifted the barrier, waving the first of the vehicles through, one that had arrived at the back of the queue a few days before. The car, towing a caravan, pulled up and its occupants got out as Lucien conducted a brief search of the vehicle.

"Name and papers please."

"Matsounis." said the man proudly, "Konstantinos Matsounis and family."

"So,"
the officer looked through the passports and other documents, "Mister Matsounis, you're a Nemyan. Can you tell me why you've come to Starblaydia?"

"I want to live and work in a nation that is not run by bandits, but by a government."

"I see."
He stamped a set of forms and handed them to the Nemyan. "You have thirty days to look for work and contact an Immigration Centre to tell them your new place of residence. If you cannot find work within thirty days, the state will try its best to provide one for you. Failure to report at a Centre within thirty days will mean your deportation. Do you understand these terms?"

"I do."

"Then welcome to Starblaydia, Mister Matsounis."

The officer looked out of his door and watched the family of four, no wait, soon-to-be five, drive away. He looked to his right, out the window, and saw the almost never-ending line to get into the country.

"This is going to be a long-ass day. Next!"

OOC: I've got a couple more posts to add to this, but its basically about Starblaydia possbily expanding into what used to be Nemya (The Black & Yellow Greek-flagged nation on my eastern Border)
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Aug 10 2004, 09:16 AM

The Council was in full session, with every High Lord attending. The Lord-Protector sat at the head of the long an ancient table. He looked down at his Ministers.

"What's happening with the Nemya Situation, Howard?"

Lord Howard Jiminez, Minister of the Interior, swivled his chair slightly before answering.

"We're getting thousands of immigrants and refugees flooding across the border, heading for Jhanna and Corinth mainly. The border guards are swamped. We can basically handle this influx, which is quite welcome, but if it keeps going we'll start running out of room in our major cities."

Howard pressed a button on the table and a map sprang up on the screens in front of each Minister.

user posted image

"Here we see the major routes of the Nemyans flocking into the Protectorate."

"Thankyou, Howard. Isaac? What's the Foreign Ministry's perspective?"

"The Holy Empire of Nemya,"
Lord Chisoko began, "has basically ceased to exist in the region. The Government has fled elsewhere and has no indication of ever coming back. Nemya is in anarchy. The police can't work because there's no-one to pay them and mob-rule is taking over in many neighbourhoods. We're getting reports of fighting between wannabe-Warlords, which is leading to refugees needing sanctuary in Starblaydia."

"So what's the solution?"
said Defence Minister Lord Orfosi. "Do we throw open our borders or shut them down completely? Or do we just let ths situation build up and bottleneck at our gates until there's a real crisis?"

The Lord-Protector thought carefully for a moment. He looked at the faces of his Lords, that he knew so well, and came up with a plan of action.

"We don't close or fully open the borders." He said, leaning back in his chair. "We move the borders. East." There was much consternation among his Lords at that statement, but Lord-Protector Tiberius continued. "The population of Starblaydia has tripled, tripled, my Lords, since we staked out those borders that Lord Jiminez showed us a moment ago.

"They were more than ample before, but now we are full to bursting. To the east there are millions of people, bereft of law and order, and I don't mean the TV series. They need help and protection and who better to provide it than us, their neighbour? Does the United Nations affect them? Does AORDO or even the Holy Church of Nemya keep them safe?

"We, my Lords, we, can provide them with a standard of living they have been deprived of since their Government packed up and left them. I say extend our borders as far east as their's currently lie. Let the wings of the Golden Eagle of Starblaydia unfold to shield the Nemyan people."

The Lords sat in complete silence, no-one really knew how to answer their Lord-Protector. Eventually it was Lady Viannorr who spoke up first.

"Command us, my Lord." She said, seconded by other Council members.

"I want a region-wide broadcast to let Atlantian Oceania know what we're doing. I want supplies and aid to Nemyan city neighbourhoods. I don't want any tanks or ships or fighters or anything. This is not an invasion in any way, shape or form. I want... I want to see our troops playing football with Nemyan children..."

"We could use Giannis Berisha,
" interrupted Lord Van Honjiik, "Uh, my Lord."

"Who's he?"

"He plays in the Vilitan Declasse league, for Electrical Outlet, or some such team,"
the Sports Minister continued, "he sounds as Nemyan as they come but he's Starblaydi."

"Brilliant, Rikaard, get him over here and involve him in hte football."
The Lord-Protector was on a roll. "Give the Nemyans law and order with a paid police force, make their provinces equal to our own, bring the Nemyan football teams into the Starblaydi Divisions.

"What about their Church?"
came the question.

"The Church of Starblaydia has never been very popular, The Holy Nemyan Church can be given the same status as a second recognised religion." The ideas and plans were flowing thick and fast from the Lord-Protector now as he stood up and paced around his chair as he thought and spoke. "In fact, get their leader, Bishop... whoever, and make him Lord-Bishop and give him a seat on this council."

"Are you sre about that, my Lord?"

The ideas came to an abrupt halt. Lord Carlito Orfosi, Minister of Defence for The Protectorate of Starblaydia, sat in stoney silence as the Lord-Protector stared him down.

"Carlito." Tiberius was deadly serious. "You are here by my appointment, and if I choose to appoint another Minister to this Council it is my decision and mine only. Do you understand?"

There was still a palpable sense of tension in the room, quickly subsiding as Carlito visibly backed down.

"Yes, my Lord."

"Good."
Tiberius sat back down into his chair. "That's all I have for now. So go get all of that done and warm up the TV cameras for me."

This post has been edited by Starblaydia on Aug 10 2004, 09:22 AM
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Aug 10 2004, 10:57 AM

Incoming message ::: Official Communique from The Protectorate of Starblaydia ::: To all Atlantian Oceania Nations

user posted image

"Greetings, fellow National Leaders of Atlantian Oceania,

"For those of you who do not know me, I am Tiberius Starblayde, Lord-Protector of Starblaydia. I have held this honoured position since the tragic death of my father, Saevion. I am contacting you because I wish to make a formal application for expansion of my nation's borders.

"Since the borders of Starblaydia were laid down, many changes have occured. The most significant of these to the situation at hand is the collapse of The Holy Empire of Nemya's government, who have removed themselves from the region and gone elsewhere. This has left a great many people bereft of government of any kind. Apart from, that is, the rule of the strongest and quickest to capitalise on the power vacuum.

"We in Starblaydia have seen first-hand the effects of this dismemberment between government and people, as many Nemyans have already become immigrants and even refugees and flocked to our borders to seek aid, which we have provided when and where we can.

"Another factor is Starblaydia's own population, which has multiplied by three since our borders were created. Nearly seven hundred million people are crammed into our small nation, and that number is growing every day.

"What we, the Council of Starblaydia, are requesting is permission from the Region to extend our eastern borders into Nemya, to bring the forgotten people of the Former Empire a sense of nationhood once more. We believe the best way to accomplish this is to bring all of what was previously Nemya into the control of Starblaydi Government. We will act upon a great range of issues to ensure that no Nemyan has their human, civil or any other rights infringed by this action. Accordingly, this is our plan of action:"

1) Starblaydi troops will secure the borders of what is officially the Holy Empire of Nemya, but in reality merely obsolete lines on a map. This may be reduced or increased depending upon the opinions and decisions of the Region.

2) The border between Starblaydia and Nemya shall be removed, effectively making one nation.

3) Aid and Emergency Services, guarded by troops, will attend to the immediate basic needs of the people in Nemya.

4) Nemya's internal boundaries shall be incorporated as Starblaydi provinces, on equal bearing with those already in existence such as Jhan, Sideria and Hallad.

5) The Holy Church of Nemya shall be granted equal status to the Church of Starblaydia, effectively giving enlarged-Starblaydia two official religions. The Head of the Holy Church of Nemya will be granted a Lordship and a representative seat on the Council of Starblaydia

6) Major Provincial Administration Centres will be set up in Nemya, the largest being in the former capital, Tournet. These will oversee the reconstruction of Nemya into a fully functional part of Starblaydia.

"These are the steps we feel are most pertinent to the Region. Others, such as the synchronisation of education systems, sporting leagues, technology and trade practices, etc, will take place but are frivolous compared to such sweeping changes as border realignment.

"We would like the nations of Atlantian Oceania, particularly our continental co-inhabitants to voice their opinions and support or otherwise on our proposal.

"Thankyou."

.:: End of Communique ::.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Aug 10 2004, 05:59 PM
PMEmail Poster

The Vicarai Concilium has extensively discussed this issue over the past few days, coming to the conclusion that Starblaydian expansion would be the best way to solve the Nemyan problem. We will provide any support needed during the transition period.
Aquiliana
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Aug 11 2004, 09:57 AM

We would be more than happy for International Observers to be present throughout the expansion if it is granted, to ensure the honour of our actions
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Aug 11 2004, 05:51 PM
PMEmail Poster

The government of Pedriana is watching the scene with interest. Emperor Pedro III believes no human should be left ungoverned, and thus fully supports the Starblaydian expansion.
Pedriana
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Aug 11 2004, 07:20 PM
PMEmail Poster

The Nation of Abattoir formally adheres to the Starblaydia request for the annexation of former Nemya. Any temporary shelter and or humanitary aid needed for the refugees will gladly be offered to Starblaydia upon request.
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Aug 12 2004, 04:55 AM

The Ministry of the Interior believes we have adequate supplies and aid for the immediate needs of Nemya, though we may fall short of large-scale building expertise should our damage estimates prove optimistic. If the situation arises where Starblaydia cannot fully rebuild Nemya in a satisfactory timeframe on her own, be sure that we will ask for the help most graciously offered.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Aug 12 2004, 03:43 PM

The Free Republic of Lamoni offers whatever temporary help is needed to assist Starblaydia's expansion into The Holy Empire of Nemya. The government of the Free Republic sees this as the most humane alternative for the people of Nemya. Starblaydia has our support to expand into the former nation of Nemya.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0249 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->